Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berkshire Ribs vs. Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berkshire Ribs vs. Standard

Hi all! I know this is my second poll this week, but it is a great way to keep on learning! I am currently smoking my first set of Berkshire Baby Back ribs. When ordering my Prime Brisket from Lobels ($$ but great quality (n value of 3 ) I added them as I was already paying to much for shipping. Thoughts? This will be the first time I have had Berkshire meat.

Berkshire is always worth it
    50.00%
    Mild gains - would pay +5 or more a pound
    8.33%
    Mild gains - would buy it if close to the same price
    33.33%
    ehhh... not noticeable
    8.33%

Watching,,,,,,,

Comment

I haven't ordered from Loebel's in years, JMuseum . Have you ever done a temperature check on the meat when it is delivered? Has it always been in the temperature-safe zone?

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 22, 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• JMuseum
        JMuseum commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the temp was not a problem. They did fresh, next day air and Saturday delivery so I was able to get them in the fridge easily. I once had trouble with Huntspoint where UPS messed up my delivery, so it is always a gamble.

My buddy and I used to raise Berkshire's and it was the best pork I ever had. He has passed, so no more Berkshire since we raised them on his property. We could raise them to the size we wanted, not the puny cuts you get from SRF and they were free to roam and forage as well as being grain fed.

Comment

• Deeremaxx
        Deeremaxx commented
        Editing a comment
        I would raise some litters if I could find the older genetics of the breed. Today's producers seem to want them lean like a hampshire.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        We got these from a young breeder who had attended North Carolina State, tha AG school here in the state and was into making sure that he had pure blood lines of his breeding stock. I tried to get the info Monte had from his heirs but they had already disposed of it, so I have no way of contacting the breeder. He was also into cross breeding Berkshire and Duroc.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 22, 2019, 01:10 PM.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker I agree genetics matter.. but I think the care and lifestyle an animal receives really plays into the quality of the product..I also believe the stress an animal goes through in the slaughter process makes a huge difference.. shipping these animals hundreds of miles gets them wound up and scared..you had good pork because you bought good genetics and treated them good..

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here