Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened?

Wensday afternoon I smoked two racks of spareribs. The cook went flawless, 250 degrees with Memphis dust and a light glaze near the end. Several people commented that they were as good as any they had ever had. They were by far the best I had ever cooked. Tonight the wife and I decided to warm the leftovers up for dinner. I warmed them 3 at a time in the microwave, 30 seconds, flip, 20 seconds, just like I always do. They were terrible! The flavor had changed completely. They were just as tender and bit off the bone easily, but were greasy, with an off putting flavor. I cook ribs often and we enjoy the leftovers. I have no idea what happened this time. Any ideas?

It sounds like the old grease rancidity bug a boo caught you. Grease can go rancid very quickly if left out to long at a high temperature. Heating it up just accelerates the nasty flavor. I have had it happen to me now I try to get any meat into the refrig. within an hour or two of taking it off the cooker.

Sorry you had the problem.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      These were in the fridge in about 2 hours. One of the reasons I bought them was that I could see streaks of fat running through the lean. Like I said right off the smoker they were great. Rancid is a pretty good description of the flavor today. Thank you.

I let them chill out a bit at room temp then head to the freezer until they are cool enough for the fridge. I've done about 15 racks like that lately, whereby they are all consumed as leftovers. Zero complaints.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, especially for your best ribs. Never had that happen, wish I could help. I sometimes get a gross off flavor with beef burgers reheated, but not every time. I often eat my leftover ribs cold outta the fridge.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of rewarming cooked meat either because the flavor tastes rewarmed . Hard to describe. To me it tastes better right out of the fridge.

I had no idea that fat could go rancid that fast, practically during a meal. Makes me wonder how fast they were chilled in the fridge. I keep fridge temps at about 33° and if the food is warm I set the container on one of those frozen gel packs that come with the Hello Fresh boxes to hurry the cooling along and to keep the refrigerator from warming up.

Kathryn

Comment

Wow. I’ve never heard of that. Generally if they are good when you eat and store them they are good for leftovers. I for one don’t buy the rancid theory unless you didn’t originally notice it when prepping, cooking and consuming them.

perhaps they picked up a flavor along the way to the microwave. In the fridge or perhaps the storage vessel or even the microwave.

Full disclosure. I’m wrong a lot. Especially if you ask Sophia.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; September 22, 2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            They weren't rancid when I prepped them. I have a good sense of smell. My wife looks at me and shakes her head at times when I throw something out because it smells funny. I'll get that, I can't smell anything comment. I'm even a bit OCD about my fridge temp. There's a fridge thermometer on the second shelf looking at you when you open it. I appreciate everyone's thoughts, because I don't have a clue what happened. Full disclosure. I'm wrong a lot too, intelligent women are like that.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
          Wow. I’ve never heard of that. Generally if they are good when you eat and store them they are good for leftovers. I got one don’t buy the rancid theory unless you didn’t originally notice it when prepping, cooking and consuming them.
          You would think folks would notice that rancidness when they opened the pack... however I was doing a little backyard competition one time and all of the sudden I got a whiff of a putrid rotting meat odor. There was a guy setup about 50 feet or so away from my tent that had just opened his vac sealed ribs and started prepping them. I strolled over there and was like "hey man do you happen to notice that odor?" He thought it was just from them being sealed up... so he started asking others what they thought. Luckily for the judges we talked him out of using them and his wife made a quick run to the store for him.

I guess some folks don’t notice... then you rub and sauce the hell out of them and who knows... might be able to slip some nasty by.

I like your thought on picking up another odor or something though.

I guess the million dollar question is if the OP has ended up with food poisoning yet?

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang, no bueno!! My first thought was fruit. I often ask the night crew to cut fruit for me or make fruit platters. The issue is they get busy and forget to change their cutting boards and my watermelon taste like onions and garlic. It happens in deli cups too.

Perhaps it was the micrwave? I hate reheating meat in the microwave. It's fine for soups, vegetables, and water for tea or my french press coffee, but not meat. I always wrap mine in aluminum foil and heat slowly (about 200 degrees) in the oven. However for me it is a textural thing not weird flavors, but maybe the microwave did something to alter the fflavor too.

Comment

We got up this morning without food poisoning! There's a win for the home team! It must be microwaving that's to blame. I've had it change flavors before, just never to this extent. I still have 4 ribs that weren't reheated in a ziplock bag in the fridge. I'm going to wrap them in foil later and reheat in the oven. I have to admit though I'm not very hungry for ribs now. Thanks for all the ideas.

Comment

• ScottyC13
              ScottyC13 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what we usually do with leftover ribs. Foil and reheat at no higher than 350. When they are close, you can broil the top with more sauce just to freshen them up.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Being rancid won't cause food poising per se. It just tastes awful. Good luck on your oven reheat. You might want to taste a bite cold as a couple of people have suggested. I also will eat them cold on occasion.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here