Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine

Is it ok to dry brine a 8 pound pork shoulder 2 to 3 days? Will it dry out during the cook?

Brining will help prevent drying out, and 3 days is OK.

Comment

I prefer three days for my pork shoulders.

Comment

An 8lb pork butt is a big hunk of meat. To get the full effect of the dy brine to the center, 2.5- 3 days is about right. Make sure you spread that 1/2 t of salt per pound as evenly as possible over the surface and wrap it tight. I prefer plastic wrap, it will take you several sheets.

Comment

You will be just fine. It will actually help it to not dry out during the cook.

If you have not already, make sure to check out the article on Dry Brining.

Comment

You're actually about right as others have stated, but don't go too long. This guy went 80 years and look what happened to him.....

Comment

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              Just saw today:

A Swedish scientist suggests that it may be necessary to turn to cannibalism and start eating human flesh to save the planet (giving new meaning to the expression bite me) And NO this story is not from The Onion.A conference about the food of the future called Gastro Summit being held in Stockholm Sweden featured a presentation by Magnus Söderlund claiming that we must get used to the idea of eating human flesh in the future.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard leg meat wasn’t too bad but I draw the line at fingers and toes. It’s like eating chicken paws....

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              long pork

Thx to all who responded.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Let us know how the cook goes!

What about all those who didn’t respond?

Comment

Is there a saturation point when dry brining? In other words, if the salt is fully disolved after, say, 1 day can the meat increase in saltiness if left to brine for another 2 or 3 days? I guess the question is similar for wet brining. I am about to wet brine some salmon and Amazing Ribs recommends 1 hour per pound of fish. Can its saltiness increase if left to brine for longer? Thanks

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                In dry brining, the goal is to not add more salt to the meat than you'd want to eat -- about 1/2 tsp per pound of meat is the rule of thumb. The salt will migrate deeper into the meat as time goes on, but the meat won't get saltier and saltier because there's no excess of salt to make that happen.
                Last edited by IowaGirl; November 27, 2019, 12:51 PM.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Wet brining can make the meat too salty because a wet brine does have an excess of salt. So you want to limit how long you wet brine the meat to limit how much salt it absorbs and also to prevent undesirable changes in texture. In some cases wet brined meat has to be desalinated after brining, as you might need to do when making pastrami.

When wet brining, the salt in the brine and the product will reach equilibrium at some point. At that time, the product can't absorb more salt. The catch is if your brine has too much salt in it, your product can wind up too salty.

For a dry brine I have never had too much salt in the product, but if there is still unabsorbed salt left when I am ready to cook, I brush it off as well as I can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here