Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Shank - Served at Cinderella's Castle, and I want to serve it too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barelfly
    replied
    I love everything bout this! The food for one, but the business idea as well! So cool!

excellent job!

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    Absolutely delicious looking cook!

Leave a comment:

• Greygoose
    replied
    Now that is one multifaceted rib shack I would say !!!!
    Awesome job pulling that off in fine style .

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!!!

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Roger that, my friend @Jerod!! Thanks for your help!

• holehogg
    replied
    You guy's never fail to impress.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm, seems like I heard road noise not too long ago en route to get practice shanks.

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Then the Magic happened, the Ice Queen and Snow Princess showed up! The little Princesses were in awe! The event went fantastic!

Well, the food service could have been faster. It was plenty fast for a fine dining, 90 minutes or so, but the little Princesses were so amped up at the beginning, and their tanks emptied fast and some were cross after an hour or so. The Princesses went to each table, interacted with the little girls and took pictures. It was magical!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1902.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	774595

Name:	IMG_1903.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	774594

Name:	IMG_1944.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	774592
    Hannah planned the whole thing, and I'm so proud! She's fantastic in every way! #ProudDaddy #MagicalMoments
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Well, we pulled it off, our first Fine Dining Signature Dinner at Paul's Rib Shack Barbecue! We did it in conjunction with my eldest daughters business, MagicalMoments,us, her Princess Party Business. It was last weekend, the debut of Frozen 2. So, she planned for the Ice Princess and the Snow Queen to host a Character Dining Experience on Sunday Night. I was to provide the special Signature Meal for the guests.

I remember that fantastic Pork Shank from our vacation and knew that it would fit the bill. I just pictured what sort of meal would be on a Queen't Table 500 years ago, and Smoked Pork Shank with Apple Glaze over a Mashed Root Vegtables mash, topped with Roasted Root Vegtables would be just right!

So, we ordered 80 Pork Shanks. That's not the simplest thing. Luckily, we have a real slaughterhouse about an hour away. I went over on the Tuesday before to pick up a few so we could test. I didn't get to the testing until the day before, and it took much of my day to get the test done.

We don't have any plates or silverware at the restaurant, but we do have Texas-style aluminum trays. I didn't put the butcher paper down, but it was adequate for our test plate!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1890.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	774579

This is Hannah, the Crown Princess, with Sam, who you all have seen many times, and Silas, a new and fantastic addition to our crew!

We did a Root Vegetable Mash of Sweet Potato, Rutabaga, Butternut Squash, then a roasted root vegtable with all of those plus Parsnip, Carrot and Jimica. It was fantastic!

For the practice, I just boiled the vegggis for the mash. For the final meal, I Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1889.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	774578

Test #1: Thursday.
    Skin on, did 4 shanks with 1, Salt and pepper, 2, Pork Rub, 3, Beef Rub, 4 Salt, Pepper, Onion garlic.

Smoked for about 6 hours in an open half pan at 275. Were pretty tender, but the skin was a big hurdle, way to hard. Can't remember if I lidded the pan or not?

Test #2, Saturday. Salt & Pepper, no skin

Smoked for 2.5 hours at 275, then put in some "brazing liquid" of chicken stock and covered the pan. Put on the top rack on the big stickburner and let ride for 4 more hours or so. Were probe tender at around 200 degrees. Were tender and flavorful. It's a go!

The tests went well, so on Saturday Night, Sam and Silas and I removed the skin and much of the silverskin beneath. This was a little bit of work for each. Salt and Peppered and put in the cooler.

I arrived before church on Sunday, lit the fire and put the shanks on. Oh the glory!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1892.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	774587
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1893.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	774585
    This is right after church, about 90 minutes in I think.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1895.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	774586

It was a full day. They fellas arrived about 3 and we got to work getting the vegtables skinned, diced and cooknig. Dinner is served at 5:30 and we had zero minutes to spare.

Did I mention that we didn't have plates and flatware and such? Well, I ordered black plates, flatware and glasses. It took much of the afternoon getting that setup, and I had hoped to be further along with the veggie and prep, but we weren't. Just keep working!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1920.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	774584
    Oh, and we did a salad. House made vinaigrette tossed on a baby spinach and spring mix, house made candied pecans, caramelized pear on a granny smith apple slice, with Goat cheese crumble and pomegranate seeds. It was pretty and tasty!

Name:	IMG_1906.jpeg
Views:	604
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	774589
    It's plating time!!! The pressure it real, so you just keep solving problems and working!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1915.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	774588
    Then it happens...Yeah!!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1927.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	774582

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1928.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	774583

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1913.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	774580

Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; November 29, 2019, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I will look at that. Thank you!

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Super cool!!!!

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Love it! We haven't tried Ohana's, but my daughter did and loved it.

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    So pretty!!

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    Kathryn I don't golf either,but I just don't get disney

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Old Glory , hubby has been to EPCOT. He liked that, but my daughter and I needed to work the entire park over a few days, so he bailed on anything not EPCOT and played golf instead.

FishTalesNC , we're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I'm sewing a Belle costume for the Little Princess as we speak. Or maybe she'll wear the Snow White Costume I sewed for her Mom back in the day.

Mosca , we've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge too. Loved it!

K.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here