Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Shank - Served at Cinderella's Castle, and I want to serve it too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pork Shank - Served at Cinderella's Castle, and I want to serve it too!

We have gone to Disney...to many times! However, my wife has helped me enjoy it even more by adding the sit-down dining plan to our visits. One of the best meals was the Pork Shank at Cinderella's Royal Table, the restaurant in the Castle at Walt Disney World. It was fantastic!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.JPG
Views:	826
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	744579

However, I've never cooked Pork Shank, nor have I smoked it. Please chime in - can you smoke Pork Shank successfully, and give me your pointers!

P.S. I also want to smoke Beef Shank.

Excellent question.
    I don't see shanks to often but hocks are usually available so same question about successful pork hock smoking.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said! Thanks, Smokin Fool

I love the pork shank at hofbrauhaus newport ky

Comment

I just posted over on another site that I have done them so I guess I had better put up or slicious smoke into them also. What I have done is give them 2-2.5 hours of slow and low smoke. Then I transfer them to my braiser along with root vegetables that are in season. In an other 2-2.5 hours everything should be done. I let them rest while I make some mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes and turnips to serve as a base for the braise. Serve with the potatoes then then one shank per person and some of the vegetables. Strain the braising liquid removing the fat and pass.

There is nothing better than this. The shanks are slightly falling apart with a mildly smoky smell and taste.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed braising is the way to go. Possibly crisp it up in the oven just before serving.

I believe using the Meathead Disney Turkey Leg recipe will work pretty well for what you’re going for.

Alternatively, look for schweinshaxe on the google. Roasted pork shank. I’ve messed around and made some tasty Sous-B-Cue with them. Sadly, my supplier doesn’t sell them skin on anymore, and the skin was the reason for em. I did some google translate on that, because I was trying to recreate what I’d had in Munich.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        I will look at that. Thank you!

Can't help with the pork shank, but we are Disney lovers too - our first date was to Disney Land, and we just booked another Disney World trip for this time next year, including the dining plan with sit down meals. Have you tried Ohana's at the Polynesian resort? My favorite restaurant anywhere... shrimp, chicken, sirloin steak, all cooked over an 18ft oak fire pit! And they won't stop bringing it until you say "uncle".

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Super cool!!!!

We're going to Disney World in a couple of weeks. Staying at the Contemporary with the park pa$$ and the full meal plan. The 3 year old granddaughter will celebrate her birthday there in full Disney Princess style. She may not remember it when she grows up but the parents and grandmoms will.

My husband hates Disney World. Bringing him, I tell him, is like dragging a huge wet blanket through the Magic Kingdom. He used to play golf there instead on the few times he'd accompany us. This time he will happily stay home and watch football.

But you're right, PaulstheRibList , some of the best meals we have had were at Cinderella's castle. I hope you come up with a killer recipe for that pork shank and share it with us.

FishTalesNC, haven't tried Ohana's. I'll look into it if it's not already booked.

Over the years, I took my daughter to Disney World or Disneyland every other year from the time she was 3 until she graduated high school. It was our mom/daughter getaway and we loved every minute. We worked those Orlando and California theme parks and all the rides, for sure!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 17, 2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory , hubby has been to EPCOT. He liked that, but my daughter and I needed to work the entire park over a few days, so he bailed on anything not EPCOT and played golf instead.

FishTalesNC , we're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I'm sewing a Belle costume for the Little Princess as we speak. Or maybe she'll wear the Snow White Costume I sewed for her Mom back in the day.

Mosca , we've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge too. Loved it!

K.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn I don't golf either,but I just don't get disney

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Love it! We haven't tried Ohana's, but my daughter did and loved it.

Yep PaulstheRibList smoke them and either do a classic braise in the oven or braise them in foil on the smoker. All shanks, be they lamb, pork or beef, can be treated the same way. Good luck with your recipe !!!

Name:	lamb braise 03.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	744684

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a gorgeous shank. It looks to be served on a bed of mushroom risotto with carrots from the braising liquid.

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        So pretty!!

Locally The Anthracite Cafe (home of Bacon Week every February) does them, occasionally, as a special. They call them Texas Hawg Wings. They serve them much the same as mountainsmoker does, over puréed potatoes with appropriate vegetables.

Comment

Well, we pulled it off, our first Fine Dining Signature Dinner at Paul's Rib Shack Barbecue! We did it in conjunction with my eldest daughters business, MagicalMoments,us, her Princess Party Business. It was last weekend, the debut of Frozen 2. So, she planned for the Ice Princess and the Snow Queen to host a Character Dining Experience on Sunday Night. I was to provide the special Signature Meal for the guests.

I remember that fantastic Pork Shank from our vacation and knew that it would fit the bill. I just pictured what sort of meal would be on a Queen't Table 500 years ago, and Smoked Pork Shank with Apple Glaze over a Mashed Root Vegtables mash, topped with Roasted Root Vegtables would be just right!

So, we ordered 80 Pork Shanks. That's not the simplest thing. Luckily, we have a real slaughterhouse about an hour away. I went over on the Tuesday before to pick up a few so we could test. I didn't get to the testing until the day before, and it took much of my day to get the test done.

We don't have any plates or silverware at the restaurant, but we do have Texas-style aluminum trays. I didn't put the butcher paper down, but it was adequate for our test plate!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1890.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	774579

This is Hannah, the Crown Princess, with Sam, who you all have seen many times, and Silas, a new and fantastic addition to our crew!

We did a Root Vegetable Mash of Sweet Potato, Rutabaga, Butternut Squash, then a roasted root vegtable with all of those plus Parsnip, Carrot and Jimica. It was fantastic!

For the practice, I just boiled the vegggis for the mash. For the final meal, I Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1889.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	774578

Test #1: Thursday.
        Skin on, did 4 shanks with 1, Salt and pepper, 2, Pork Rub, 3, Beef Rub, 4 Salt, Pepper, Onion garlic.

Smoked for about 6 hours in an open half pan at 275. Were pretty tender, but the skin was a big hurdle, way to hard. Can't remember if I lidded the pan or not?

Test #2, Saturday. Salt & Pepper, no skin

Smoked for 2.5 hours at 275, then put in some "brazing liquid" of chicken stock and covered the pan. Put on the top rack on the big stickburner and let ride for 4 more hours or so. Were probe tender at around 200 degrees. Were tender and flavorful. It's a go!

The tests went well, so on Saturday Night, Sam and Silas and I removed the skin and much of the silverskin beneath. This was a little bit of work for each. Salt and Peppered and put in the cooler.

I arrived before church on Sunday, lit the fire and put the shanks on. Oh the glory!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1892.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	774587
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1893.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	774585
        This is right after church, about 90 minutes in I think.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1895.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	774586

It was a full day. They fellas arrived about 3 and we got to work getting the vegtables skinned, diced and cooknig. Dinner is served at 5:30 and we had zero minutes to spare.

Did I mention that we didn't have plates and flatware and such? Well, I ordered black plates, flatware and glasses. It took much of the afternoon getting that setup, and I had hoped to be further along with the veggie and prep, but we weren't. Just keep working!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1920.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	774584
        Oh, and we did a salad. House made vinaigrette tossed on a baby spinach and spring mix, house made candied pecans, caramelized pear on a granny smith apple slice, with Goat cheese crumble and pomegranate seeds. It was pretty and tasty!

Name:	IMG_1906.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	774589
        It's plating time!!! The pressure it real, so you just keep solving problems and working!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1915.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	774588
        Then it happens...Yeah!!!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1927.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	774582

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1928.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	774583

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1913.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	774580

Attached Files
        Last edited by PaulstheRibList; November 29, 2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Then the Magic happened, the Ice Queen and Snow Princess showed up! The little Princesses were in awe! The event went fantastic!

Well, the food service could have been faster. It was plenty fast for a fine dining, 90 minutes or so, but the little Princesses were so amped up at the beginning, and their tanks emptied fast and some were cross after an hour or so. The Princesses went to each table, interacted with the little girls and took pictures. It was magical!!!

Name:	IMG_1902.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	774595

Name:	IMG_1903.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	774594

Name:	IMG_1944.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	774592
          Hannah planned the whole thing, and I'm so proud! She's fantastic in every way! #ProudDaddy #MagicalMoments
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, seems like I heard road noise not too long ago en route to get practice shanks.

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Roger that, my friend @Jerod!! Thanks for your help!

You guy's never fail to impress.

Comment

Now that is one multifaceted rib shack I would say !!!!
          Awesome job pulling that off in fine style .

Comment

Absolutely delicious looking cook!

Comment

I love everything bout this! The food for one, but the business idea as well! So cool!

excellent job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here