Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another pulled pork testing opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, John. There is already so much flavor in the PBs I make using Meathead's instructions, it's hard to imagine that there can be an even greater flavor boost with MSG. But what the hey, it's worth a try. I'll write that down in my BBQ notes--1 tsp Accent per 12 oz liquid for injection.

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! My mother used that back in the day but I guess I never paid attention to what it actually was.

Kathryn

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I hear what you are saying, Huskee. And that is precisely what I am trying to do - weigh the pros and cons of each. Overall I think I like the WSM a tad better, but the 22.5 costs more and the PBC is just really cool in a novel sort of way.

This is something I am going to weigh throughout the year. I already learned that the 14.5 WSM simply produces better back ribs than my Bradley electric. That was the unanimous opinion when I did my side-by-side a few weeks ago.

Quite honestly, for me, I am desperate to do perhaps a half dozen cooks on both changing only 1 variable at the time and see which cooker pleases the crowd more. Unfortunately I don't have a donor for this noble experiment.

I will soldier through this summer and fall with the warriors that I have and hopefully by late fall through experience, research and "Pitdom" I will settle on one of these 2 cookers.

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    DWCowles I do stats pretty much daily, those are all words, but not particularly in a statistically significant order.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Ok

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    DWCowles sorry, statistics was about 18 too many years ago.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    So you added the msg to the apple juice or did you add it to the rub?

Maybe that's your next test, msg rub vs msg injection.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc, msg is simply Accent. You can get it at any supermarket or Wally world or wherever.

• _John_
    replied
    Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
    John, it sounds as though everything turned out fine. After all, taste is in the taste buds of the diner. Those were cute comments about your MIL and DD. It was good to know the results of the cook.

Where does one obtain a jar of MSG? At an Asian grocery store? Sorry to sound dense here but I guess I'm out of that particular loop. I've always heard it maligned (by people who were allergic to it) so much that I never really looked for it.

There's always Amazon. It has everything, including PBCs. How much MSG did you inject?

Kathryn

This seems to be the most commonly available product, I found it at all the local places once I knew what I was looking for. It is a really crazy flavor, I instantly think salt and meatiness. I got about 6 ounces of liquid in each, using about a teaspoon of MSG.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard can you break that down so I can understand what you're saying

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Dropped on the coals vs not.
    I'm with Huskee, the standard deviation and coefficient correlation on that has got to be OFF THE CHARTS!!!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    John, it sounds as though everything turned out fine. After all, taste is in the taste buds of the diner. Those were cute comments about your MIL and DD. It was good to know the results of the cook.

Where does one obtain a jar of MSG? At an Asian grocery store? Sorry to sound dense here but I guess I'm out of that particular loop. I've always heard it maligned (by people who were allergic to it) so much that I never really looked for it.

There's always Amazon. It has everything, including PBCs. How much MSG did you inject?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Ok, these were the blackest butts i've done, looked like charcoal briquettes. Cooked the whole way unwrapped, but even after injecting they were too dry, but a lot of that was likely the high temps.
    As far as MSG goes, it will be the default for now, really excellent flavor.
    On a side note I tried a little education as well, I separated each butt into the money muscle, the tubes, the horn and other. I had everyone try each piece and was surprised that everyone didn't go after the same pieces. For me the tubes are best mixed with some bark from the horn, money muscle just after. Father in law was all tubes, then horn. Wife likes a sammy so she likes a mix of it all. Mother in law likes BBQ sauce so she could be eating a tire for all she cares. Daughter eats it with ketchup, so really not sure what to do with her at all.
    Dropped tasted just like the other but a bit more dry, but a big piece of the crust got left off so a lot of that heat got inside so no real surprise.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Its a really good methodology, didn't even know which one was dropping until it happened.

• Huskee
    replied
    "dropped on the coals vs not" Lol. Scientific test, of course.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here