Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70 racks of ribs, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70 racks of ribs, oh my!

Hi All. I’ve got a large cook (for me at least) coming up this weekend, it’s part competition and part fundraiser. I’ll be cooking about 70 racks of ribs that will be handed out to the public as well as my normal 3/4 racks for my turn in box. I think I have my cooking plan down as far as the timing and whatnot, but I’m worried a little about ‘what I don’t know’ about cooking this much food. Do you fine folks have any special advice you would be willing to share that you might have learned from doing similar cooks? Holding, reheating if needed, serving, etc...

I’m planning on cooking in two shifts; I can accommodate about 40 racks at a time. The first batch will be finished about 10:30AM with the second batch going on right away after. The public starts coming in at 2PM so I figure the first 40 racks should get us through the crowd until the second batch is done. I’ll be using a large Cambro for holding the ribs, and plan on tossing them back on the cooker for a few minutes to set some glaze and reheat (to serving temp) before serving. Any ideas about how long it may take to reheat ribs that have been holding for 4 hours? I’ve never held ribs that long.

Anyway, I’m open for ideas and advice if you have any to share.

Cheers!

You are going to need to pack those ribs as tight as you can in the Cambro. Wrap them in foil after they are completely ready to eat. Go to a drug store and get enough hot water bottle, use the hottest watter you can, to cover the ribs in the Cambro and then cover with thermal blankets. As thick as you can. I say thermal blankets for a reason, they hold more heat per inch of thickness than a regular blanket. Now close the top and seal the top to the bottom. This will get you to 4 and even 5 hours.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice, thanks!

Good luck on your cook!

Comment

Toothpicks, plenty of em.
      Good luck with your smoke, that's a lotta ribs.

Comment

You shouldn’t need to get them back up to serving temp. If you hold them properly they’ll stay above 140, which is a good serving temp. I wouldn’t bother with the reheat/final glaze, just finish them before you cambro them.

Comment

I have no sage advice to offer -- just this silly song that keeps rollin' around in my head when I see your thread --

Seventy racks o' ribs, oh my
          Seventy racks o' ribs!
          Take one down, pass it around,
          Sixty-nine racks o' ribs, oh my....

Comment

That's a lot of ribs. I would say good luck, but since you are an AR member luck doesn't come into play

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here