Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time doing a cook off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time doing a cook off

I entered a cook off for the first time and there are 2 classes. Pork loin and an open class that just has to use pork. For the loin I'm stuffing it with an apple, pear, sausage and cranberry stuffing with a raspberry habanero glaze. I did a trial run and it turned out great but I am looking for ideas for the open class. I had thoughts of Armadillo eggs or pork belly burnt ends (one of my specialties). Anything you guys can think of that might wow the judges? I only have 6 hours to prep and cook. It's being held in the town park so there also needs to be samples for the public. Pictures of the loin are attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	loin1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	742256Click image for larger version

Name:	loin2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	742257Click image for larger version

Name:	loin3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	742258

My only criticism that I can see is that it is not evenly rolled evenly from end to end. The stuffing looks delicious.

Good luck to you sir!

Comment

• MattyV
      MattyV commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip! It was only the 2nd time I've cut one to roll like that. Still working on the technique.

Pork belly burnt ends? Pork and quite easy and tasty.

Comment

Lollipop chicken is always a conversation starter. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

Just a suggestion for the loin: Once you got it cut and opened up, you might try covering it with plastic wrap and pounding it to flatten it a bit more and to make it a more even thickness. Not only will the finished product look good, it will also have been a little easier to roll.

Comment

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          I will work on that. I got thin in some spot when I was pounding it out. Thanks for the tip.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point you want it as evenly flat as possible and as square or rectangular as possible. Trim as needed.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 12, 2019, 08:27 AM.

I am doing PB Burnt Ends in a people's choice contest this weekend...To me that is a perfect single bite option for a contest...Not sure how your contest is being judged...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here