Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Prague #1 and bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Prague #1 and bacon

So I was working on curing my first bacon earlier tonight. In the process of making my third batch I was multitasking and could not recall if I added the Prague #1. So I added the amount required but it might be a double dose to my approximate 3.3lbs. Does anyone know if there are any potential health consequences if I just add what may be a second dose of Pague 1 in my mix or would it be better if I just throw it out? Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer, and hope that you don't have to throw it out. But it seems you and I suffer the same affliction. I try to establish a routine and follow it every time so as to avoid the 'did I or didn't I' doubts. I place the spices in order, then start with the tablespoon and work my way down. For bacon I put all the dry ingredients into the bag first, then add the wet and mix in the bag before putting in meat and sealing. I'll do a visual double check before adding the wet. All lessons learned at the School of Hard Knocks!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't read your comment, but I kinda repeated your sound advice.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I too set my ingredients out in order, and once I’ve added it I move the container to a different place on the counter. Thanks to this method I haven’t messed up a seasoning/spice regimen in several years.

We have a saying: "when in doubt, ...(you know the rest)...throw it out". Is the value of 1/3 a belly worth the possible danger? Too much nitrite is not good. Now, is double the dose "too much" I don't know. Why chance it. What I find helps with those oopses is measure the ingredients out beforehand and put them in little bowls or cups or on a plate, something, then if it's not there you know you added it already. "Mise en place" I believe is the term.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the bowls in order method also. Definitely helps.

When that happens (more often than one wants to admit) I wash everything off immediately and start over. Since you just put it on, it hasn’t made it inside yet, surface residual after a good rubbing/ rinse in the sink should be minimal.

If you've already let it sit, I don’t know. I’d probably toss it, but that’s me

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point that if it hasn't been in there too long pull it out and start over.

A day of too much cure isn't going to kill you. Been there, done that. If you're not sure next time, take a slight taste of the liquid before you add cure/additional cure. If it tastes really bad, it's already in (and spit out). If not, add it. Or rinse off the belly and start over again.

Comment

Reading the articles, such as Blonder's, the amount of Prague 1 we use is minimal, to effect something near 200 ppm nitrite in the meat. I think it was 600 ppm that could pose a danger... But, read the article.

Comment

Most of the bacon recipes over on the free side of the site set the nitrite level at 100ppm, so doubling it would still only be 200ppm, which is not very high, and shouldn't be an issue. You could play with the cure calculator and your volumes and double the Prague powder and get a better idea of how much you MIGHT have added.

Comment

Well, I suppose you could look at it this way, all those years sitting in an office at a nuclear power plant hasn't killed you, what's a little sodium nitrite? ;-)

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Exxxxcellent.....

You could also add more liquid to reduce the concentration. Of course then you risk not having enough curing salt. I'd just start over and mix a new batch, the ingredients aren't that expensive.

I usually line up my ingredients on the counter and pick off each one at a time. When I'm done with each one I place it off on another counter so as not to add the same thing twice. Never had your problem but I could see how it could happen if you got distracted.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here