Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can one get a crisp crust on Last Meal Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can one get a crisp crust on Last Meal Ribs?

Hey folks! I've been following the Last Meal Ribs method relatively closely for a while now and I always get rave reviews. Now I'm looking to up the ante by adding a thin crispy crust to them... Thin. The goal is something close to the crust of a good creme brulee. It seems like sugar and high heat would be in the solution somehow but I haven't figured it out yet. Any tips on how this can be done?

Have you tried finishing them on the grill? I don't do this, but it seems like it would work.

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried this and they do come out really good, but a different result. Also, I felt like I'm BEGGING for the rack to break up every time I try this.

Blow torch like you would a creme brulee?

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Worth a try! To be honest, it doesn't take a lot of convincing to get me to pull out the torch lol

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      it works great on pork belly getting the skin nice and crispy. I sure would think this would work on setting a glaze.

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      It works! I need a little more trial and error (didn't use enough sugar this time) but this is definitely getting a permanent spot on the menu once I get it down. Thanks yall! Rib Brulee

I would avoid wrapping at all and then throw them on a hot grill for a good sear. Make sure to watch the meat closely if you are using a sugary rub though. It will burn quick over a hot fire.

Comment

I use a large propane torch used for melting tar or killing weeds. I get crispy alright. Also quite the show.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        1. Your weed burner is definitely bigger than mine and now I want a bigger one too.🙂
        2. How did my father-in-law get into your photo? Even stands with his arms crossed exactly like him.🤔

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I am serious as all get out (as we say down south)

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        ….I think you need a bigger propane tank....

They get crispy but as long as you watch VERY carefully not burned,

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Carefully with that animal. They do look good.

Cook em naked at 350f (The ribs, not you!) Done in under 2 hours with crispy crust.

Comment

• ClayJones
        ClayJones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. Now I gotta add another thing to my bucket list.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Quite an image after you add the side bar !

Yup, that’s the ticket. Cooking with flame throwers!

Comment

I crumble brown sugar on mine, kinda heavily, right as I put them on the smoker and smoke all 5-7hrs unwrapped. It makes a nice crispy candy-like crust. If you don't like sweet though this might not be for you. I counter the sweetness by adding some BBBR first, then my other rub, then the brown sugar topper.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          This sounds good to me. Hope to try it soon. Thank you.

If you have a convection oven feature on your stove/oven I would think of you could preheat it on high, don’t do a full cook on the smoker, and put the ribs on a wire mesh rack that could do it but you run risk of over cooking if not careful. I have gotten some nice crusts on meat with my oven on the convection setting.

Comment

Not quite certain if these wibs would even qualify, but would >>this<< be th kinda thin, crispy bark yer lookin fer, Brother Clay?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_010113 (Custom).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	741617

Name:	20180904_010129 (Custom).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	741618

Name:	20180904_010340 (Custom).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	741619

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Would 4 dogs sleeping on the porch work instead? They have a lot of barkiness when the coyotes sing.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl Would it were, I could live out in th countryside again, an have me some dogs...presently, due to workin all th time, I have deemed myself unfit fer a potential doggie pack member candidate, but hopefully, that will all change in a few years, when I retire, an have what I consider proper/necessary time to devote to a canine companion, possibly several.

Oh, how I do so love listenin to th coyotes, of an evenin...

• ClayJones
            ClayJones commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones, I do believe that bark would qualify nicely! Those pics..!

I suggest a high-speed airflow, like a Jambo, to give you the best shot at a firm bark. I don't sauce at the end, however. I do put a heavy coat of the sugary wonderfulness in the rub. Not sure I'd call it a crispy crust, but it's pretty close.

If I were to sauce and want to finish that crisp, I would run the fire a little hotter and let that rapid draw do it's magic.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - WhoDatRibs Rally Ribs IMG-2247.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.65 MB ID:	741690

Comment

Crispy crust... sounds like a job for....

a quick deep fry at the end of the smoke. Consider the moment when you would put sauce on to caramelize and apply high heat.

Instead, separate into two rib portions, and deep fry for a minute or two at 400.

I would link to the ChefSteps Kung Pao ribs, but it's a premium recipe, not on the free side.

But alternatively, crank the grill up to the 400-500 range, and roast at the end of cooking for maybe 10 minutes.

But if you really want a creme brulee style finish, dump a bunch of brown sugar on at that sauce stage and torch it to brulee.

Comment

• ClayJones
              ClayJones commented
              Editing a comment
              Mannnnnn... @Potkettleblack.... Word's can't express how fantastic Cherry-Smoked Fried Ribs sounds to me right now... I'll never get that idea off my mind now.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here