Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where there’s smoke……

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where there’s smoke……

I grew up around a fire (braai) from a young age my eyes squinting at the plumes of wood smoke. We never had a gas griller and believed that if meat wasn’t cooked on real wood it’s not a braai it’s a BBQ. I have learnt since joining AR this isn’t the case and BBQ is not a swear word as many here believe it is. BBQ is a word used with a kind of contempt to describe the ways of foreigners.

Braai-ing is something of a religion in SA as it’s always been but the tradition has evolved over the years. I believe with the introduction of celebrity chefs and all these cooking shows on TV, we are slowly discovering that there are other wonderful ways that work just as well and there are a lot of different wonderful things can be thrown on a fire other than lamb chops and boerewors and potato spuds. I’ve learnt from here SA still has a long way to go.

So whether you’re from Africa or Europe or USA or wherever and you BBQ or Braai or whatever few can disagree that cooking outdoors using whatever tools in my cognizance always feels like a party.

I count myself fortunate to belong to a community where this business is taken seriously and we all are part of a culinary treat.

But for AR and the Pit I would not be able to muster up this…

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_161547.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	741096

or do this

Name:	20190908_180703.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	741097

and end up with this

Name:	20190908_193355.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	741098

My photography skills can wait while I hone my BBQ skills

Cool post!

Me personally, I consider the word barbecue (or BBQ) to mean cooked with smoke, and the act of, or the resulting food. If used as a verb, it's of course the process of cooking with fire & smoke, whether that's a gas flame or a wood flame I don't care, as long as there's smoke. I NEVER call a grill or a smoker "a BBQ" as a noun. If BBQ is used as a noun, to me, it is the food. It is "BBQ", it is never "A" BBQ, or "Fire up the BBQ". [shudder]

Goes to show you how we're raised- in what locale and environment, etc is what shapes our perceptions.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      interesting, I call my outdoor cooking devices "cookers", Now, a bit on that. I was sitting out back one day this summer looking at my"weber kettle" post cook, lid off, and it was just puffing post cook heat and bit of smoke. I felt at that moment to stop calling my grill a grill. It is a commercial outdoor cooker that is only limited by my knowledge or willingness to explore ways of using it. hence "cooker". I feel "bbq" is definitely a noun. I was not raised in or around grilling or bbq world.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz I do the same, it's "cooker", since i feel "grill" or "smoker" is limiting. Unless I need to be specific as to which cooker, then I tell my wife "the 22" or "26" or "Yoder", etc.

Brother, them are great Braai pics, many thanks fer sharin what ya've done!

Dog also looks to be very happy, in pic 1

Yer finished food looks jus as good as any I've seen, an there ain't thing one bad bout yer pic skillz!

Jus wanted to let ya know I always read, an very much enjoy yer posts of cooks, etc. an hope to continue to do so fer a Very Long Time!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      A gentleman and inspiration.

Yup, looks like the dawg in the top pic is head over heels for it too!!!!
    Looks great, had a busy weekend so the Keg had it off. May have new next few off too, see what happens.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      They are addicts of BBQ and 2 of my cats that only ate cat pellets make an appearance when there's a whiff of smoked meat.

Kettle and a vortex,,,,,you gotta get a S&S ,,,,LOL,,,U probably have one
    Ur rockin’ it !!!!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      And a few other cookers and some in build.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here