Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrillera Iberica - Iberico pork cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrillera Iberica - Iberico pork cheeks

I'm lucky enough to have Iberico pork readily available, and at decent prices. One benefit of living in Europe

Either way, just like ox cheeks this is a tough cut. And I happen to like bbq, a lot actually, so you all know how this is gonna go

So I did a "Smoke Then Braise" casserole. Along the line of accronyms like BBQ, SVQ et.c, I guess we can name this procedure STB

I trimmed the cheeks a little, then applied my beef rub. Smoked them real good in my BGE for 1.5 hours, using cherry wood. I smoked them pretty hard. Brought them in and braised in red wine.

Serves: 4 people

Ingredients
    • 2 lbs iberico pork cheeks (8-12)
    • 3 tbsp Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub
    • 2-3 tbsp neutral oil for frying
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 cloves of garlic
    • 1 tsp thyme
    • 1 tsp paprika powder
    • 1 tsp cumin powder
    • 1 bottle red wine
    • 2 peaches
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 1-2 tbsp corn starch for thickening
    • 4 tbsp creme fraiche for serving

Instructions
    Trim any silvery membranes off the cheeks. Apply rub evenly on all sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ParrilleraIberica_raw.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	740064

Name:	ParrilleraIberica_rub.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	740065
    Smoke at 250° F for 1.5 hours, using your favorite smoking wood. I use cherry, as I wanted a dominant smoke flavor.

Name:	CarrilleraIberica_smoke.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	740067

Peel and roughly chop the peaches.
    Heat up a pan using medim heat and add the oil. Now crush the garlic cloves and add to the oil. Take care not to brown them, they should just add flavor to the oil. Add the paprika, cumin and thyme after 1 minute and stir. Now add the red wine, bay leaves, peaches and pork cheeks. Let it simmer gently for 2-3 hours, with the lid on, but with a small gap. Check after 2 hours to see if the meat is fall apart tender. If not, let it simmer a little longer (30-60 minutes).

Name:	CarrilleraIberica_simmer.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	740066

When the casserole is close to done it's time to add the sugar and the corn starch. Bring it to a boil real quick to thicken the sauce, then remove from the stove. Let it cool off for 5 minutes before serving, with a spoon of creme fraiche and a slice of bread.
    Here's a very tasty bowl.

Name:	CarrilleraIberica.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	740068

Have an amazing weekend y'all!

Between you and Troutman coming up with these fantastic recipes your going to be the death of me.
    Pork cheeks....another cut of meat I have to look for now.
    Another creative way of using a cut of meat that otherwise no one would look at.
    Looks delic….

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I really like the peaches, they add nice color and sweetness.

That's a great lookin' dish Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

I don't think I could possibly write a comment that adequately expresses how much I'd like to be eating that right now.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Much obliged, I'll do this soon again, super tasty!

Comment

Show off Every time you march out another Iberico pork cook the envy factor jumps into hyperspace. And cheeks on top of that, just wonderful !!! Love the final money shot too, depth-in-field f-stop was set just right

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Well, I have to keep up with your creations, don't I? :-)

Unreal man! Seriously looks fantastic!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spin!

I want your cheeks! What a minute, that doesn't sound appropriate!?! Oh well, I don't care hand over the cheeks now please

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        How cheeky ;-)

Dang.

I'm curious why you chose your Beef Run over your Pork Run?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Mainly because the meat is so dark, it almost looks like beef. But just for reference I’ll try the pork rub next time.

AHHHH, the FRONT cheeks. The back cheeks are called HAM.

Comment

Dang Henrik you are such a tease. They are so good when smoked like bacon. Try to get some every time I visit my butcher.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your strategy!

Man that looks good enough to, well, eat. Duh. Seriously, I have never even considered pork cheeks. Amazing.

Comment

Great looking cook. Going to have to try this then dream up something to compete with you. Creativity is making something out of nothing and looks like you nailed it.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!!

Wowser. That looks fantastic. What a great idea and one I will have to try. Your making me hungry Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Mission accomplished ;-)

Wow! You just made me hungry and it is still morning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here