Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - pork al Pastor tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - pork al Pastor tacos

I need input on my cooking strategy for traditional pork shoulder tacos al Pastor. I currently plan to do a horizontal rotisserie cook as follows:
    -Cut shoulder into ¼” thick slices and then marinade overnight. (Expect fresh pineapple juice in marinade to somewhat aid tenderizing.)
    -Initially sear/char loaf with direct heat.
    -Finish loaf with indirect heat of 225 - 250.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome (I don’t know what I don’t know), but my specific questions/concerns include the following:

-Given the loaf will be about 6” long X 4.5” wide and comprised of ¼” slices, what is a "guesstimate" of cooking time?
    -What is the recommended terminal temp of the loaf to obtain good tenderness?

Thanks in advance for your help!

My GUESS is that if you slice up a pork shoulder roast in 1/4 in slices and stack it back up vertically that the cook time at 225 to 250 F would be about the same as if you never sliced it. Keep in mind this is a guess and I can't wait for you to tell me whether I'm right or wrong. Please let us know!

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do!

Al Pastor tacos are one of my favorite things here in SoCal and they would not be the same without a direct heat char finish. It would be the same as having them without the onion and cilantro and cut up pineapple.
    Last edited by lostclusters; September 4, 2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Can't really go wrong by following Kenji!

Comment

Here's a pretty good video of making al Pastor on a rotisserie:

I've been using this recipe for a while now, and it turns out pretty awesome, the whole article is worth reading, as he gets into the weeds a bit and there's useful stuff to think about even if you're not using that technique.

As for time & temp? Probably around 4 hours and 180-190 internal.

Comment

Be careful using the pineapple for too lengthy a marinade, it tends to turn proteins mushy. Good luck with this one, big fan of tacos el pastor.

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep yep yep

i forget the name of the one i have but its basically this. https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/meat-stick-spit, I have never done pork but have chicken plenty of times and it turns out great just slow cooking. Can take a torch and crisp up the outside if you wish but i have never had a need. Just get the marinade correct and your golden.
          Last edited by ifican; September 5, 2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            That is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! Thanks for sharing.

Pastor turns out great using my Summit gasser rotisserie but I’d like to try something similar on my WSCGC.

Your recipe sounds a bit like mine. My pork is in a disposable loaf pan, but the dimensions are similar. Mine is in the oven at 350 d for about 4 hours. So with yours loosely packed (cooks faster) and at a lower temp, I would estimate about the same or maybe a little more. You want the meat tender.

Comment

THANKS to all for your input! Thanks also for not actually laughing at my statement about not-knowing-what-I don’t know – it appears what I didn’t know could fill a library. I will be postponing the al Pastor for a week or two while I think through a revised plan.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              No such thing as a stupid question...only the stupid don’t ask questions.

Extremely happy with first effort. Used the recipe above provided by mnavarre - tender and very tasty. Tacos, street corn, black beans and fried plantains.
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here