Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs "taking forever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All good tips. Thanks everyone. I think I'm ready for next time.

A side note on time: I like the 6+ hour process because I have "convinced" my wife that I cannot do yard work/chores while tending a "live fire". She's skeptical, but I've been getting away with it (so far).

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You're a dog, haha! I get away with smoking because I *can* cook while doing chores. It was worse when I only had the offset, as I really did have to tend to the fire at least every 30 minutes.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I commend you brother, for your brilliant plan! LOL!

Also be careful of relying on the bend test for thick BBs. By the time those thick ones crack, they'll be over cooked.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point - I rarely see the bend test work on the thicker loin/baby back ribs.

The last time I cooked baby backs they took a really long time. By the time they passed the "bend test" I felt they were over-done. I never have the problem with spares. My take is that baby backs need to be wrapped and that's what I plan on doing going forward.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn't matter what rib you cook the bend test works. The key is that you only get a barely small crack. Any more that that they are over cooked. The last set of ribs I did had a 1/16 crack of about 3 inches and another even smaller one of 1 1/2 inches. They were perfect pull off the bones. Hold the bones 1/3 and 1/2 of the way down from the largest end.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 4, 2019, 03:05 PM.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I got some butcher paper from Mighty Dreams for Brisket. I get email, and he wraps his ribs after the 1st hour. Ribs are wrapped for the 2nd hour, and he claims they finish in the 3rd hour. Took 4 hrs, but ribs were mothern' good! He says that this is good way to cook ribs and freeze them off after the 2nd hour. You can have ribs every night of the week!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here