Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a new pork...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a new pork...

I have been doing St. Louis racks and tenderloins on the regular for a while now. I have both of them pretty dialed in; ribs on the PBC, well you know. I've also gotten pretty good at smoking the tenderloins on it, too. I do chops on the gasser for her, as well. I'm looking to mix things up a bit on the pork front.

The challenge: neither my wife nor I especially care for pulled pork. Sure, it's fine, but it's just never really tickled us. Neither of us is much into sauce, and pulled pork seems to really call for it. So I'm looking for a new cut to play around with. I saw an older thread about shoulder steaks that sounds interesting. Any other suggestions?

Pull your butt off the grill at a slightly lower temp and slice it. It doesn't need sauce and is great as a main course on in a sandwich. Many other uses too...

Comment

• Sandpaper
      Sandpaper commented
      Editing a comment
      About what temp RonB?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I think about 195*, but I hope others chime in.

Crown roast of pork. Picnic ham, country ham, city ham, pork belly...

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 texastweeter on the crown roast. Or you can just cook the cut flat. Dry brine, MMD, or Montreal, indirect at about 275, mesquite or cherry, internal 130 or so. Only problem I have is the cut is usually only regularly available at Christmas and Easter. Otherwise you have to special order and the last time I did that I ended up paying almost a beef like price.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I was gonna say that as well. Ever a Frenched out roast not rolled into a crown is nice (same thing really)

Whole pork loin?

Comment

I like pork "porterhouse" cuts, and you can prep 'em a few different ways. Did you see the pasta recipe I did in the Show us What you're cooking thread with pulled pork? That was amazing, totally light and refreshing use of the meat and no traditional sauce used. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...350#post735350

Comment

Pork belly if you don't mind the fat content.
        And then there's PB burnt ends.
        if you can get bone in belly you can cut the meat from the bone leaving your desired thickness of meat on the bone and have a nice meaty spare ribs.

Comment

You can amp up pulled pork (or even the mentioned sliced pork butt) by using smaller butts, cut them into 3-4lb pieces first, then dry brine and smoke as per usual. It amps it up since there's lots more rub/smoke/bark in the mix, and less bland internal meat. Also, try using a dose of Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub, then your regular pork rub. Flavor town. I'd hate to see you give up on pulled pork simply for it needing sauce! (I don't use sauce with mine!)

Have you tried Meathead's Char Siu pork? Give it a whirl if not. Also, his Tuscan Ribs recipe is a nice foray away from the standard. And of course the pork belly Banh Mi!

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            pork butts can make wicked smoked carnitas too!

• droopie69
            droopie69 commented
            Editing a comment
            What texastweeter said! I am smoking a butt today and I think when I pull it, I am going to keep some chunks and throw in a skillet to get a crisp on and then make carnitas tacos. I also, do not put sauce in my pulled pork. I provide a variety of sauces next to the buns so the individual can sauce or not as they please. There's also some white onion, slaw, and various hot sauces.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Tuscan ribs!

I'm a big fan of St Loius pork steaks, Malcolm Reed has a nice method if your interested.

BTW- your thread title made me think of this song. https://youtu.be/N6uEMOeDZsA

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang beat me to it. I agree the Reed recipe is a staple in my rotation. Have your butcher cut 1-1/2” steaks out of a pork butt and cook them like ribs. Best pork chop you ever had !!

I love me some country style ribs grilled over charcoal. Salt and pepper to season.

As I am cooking them I keep a stick of butter near and whenever I flip them I rub every yummy piece of goodness with that butter stick.

I am sure it's all in my head but if I melt the butter first and brush each piece of meat every time I flip them it just doesn't taste as good.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Lots of ideas to choose from!

Comment

Some excellent suggestions above!

Also, Never underestimate th joy, happiness, an ecstasy that a good ol smoked ham can provide; few things in this life can compare!

Whole, portion, bone in, boneless, whatever...they all freakin ROCK!!!

If'n ya jus wanna dip yer toe in th water, git a couple ham steaks, an do em up right...

If'n ya have any questions, hit me up, here, or PM, Brother, an Happy Porkin!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 30, 2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                mnavarre Mr. Bones ohhh me, country ham, red-eye gravy, and a buttermilk biscuit way better than a few strands of beads.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                mnavarre texastweeter Dang Skippy, Brothers!

Always has tickled me, to some extent, that bout 3/4 of this country don't seem to grasp that gravy is a Major Food Group, complete with an RDA, in some parts, lol

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                braised some beef tips in gravy all night for the wife to feed the yungunns today for lunch while I was at the office as a matter of fact. Mr. Bones

Like Mr. Bones mentioned if you can find a fresh ham shank or ham you can chop it into pieces and do a piece at a time mighty fine eating. There is great eating from a pork loin or country style ribs.

Comment

Fried pig ears, smoked hocks, cracklins. Don't forget trotters, or hogs head cheese!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lordy, Lordy, how we did usedta almost fight, tooth an nail, over them cracklins, when I was jus a boychild...
                  (Nowadays, they's ALL mine, so Life is Good.)

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here