Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine - How long is too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine - How long is too long?

Pit,
    I am planning on having a group of people over tomorrow for dinner and am making pulled pork. At noon today (8/28) I finished trimming and dry brining a 6lb bone in butt that I was planning on throwing on at 6AM tomorrow (8/29). Because of last minute scheduling issues 2 of the 3 guests of honor have asked to postpone until Friday (8/30).
    Can I just let the shoulder dry brine for an additional 24 hours in the fridge on top of the 18 I had planned? I've never done a dry brine over 24 before and have no idea how this will affect things. I'd love to hear any feedback on what could go right or wrong.
    If this is an issue I can just throw it on around noon Thursday, go real low and slow, then depending on when it's done either faux cambro or shred, fridge and re-heat. My preference would be to serve freshly pulled pork.
    Cooking on a Weber with a slow and sear, this will be my 11th cook on this set up so once it's rolling I'm in my comfort zone. Sunny 80's no rain for the next few days so weather isn't a concern either.

I like to go 24 - 48 hours minimum for thick hunks of meat like butts. You will be fine. The extra time just allows the salt to penetrate deeper into the meat.

Comment

I do 24-48 hours as well. I've never gone much longer than that, because I've read on this site that pork will taste "hammy" from too much curing. I'm sure someone soon will either confirm or disconfirm that.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Salt isn't curing, and there's no danger of this in the real world. If you salt and smoke a hunk of pork, it may remind someone of ham because it's salted smoked pork, but there's no curing going on unless you're using nitrite (Prague powder #1, etc.)

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        My bad. Used the word curing incorrectly. What Huskee said

I like 2-3 days for butts.

Comment

Thanks guys! The max time it's going to dry brine for is 42 hours so it sounds like I should be good, plenty of time for others to weigh in before I'll be making any moves.

Comment

So something I started doing is wrapping the meat in plastic wrap after 24 hours. It keeps the surface from drying out. Not sure if there is any science behind it but it keep the meat moist when you take it out to add the rub.

Comment

It's only too long if it crosses the meat's shelf life (use-by/freeze-by date). I try to do 2 full days or more for butts & briskets. I usually procrastinate and end up going 24-36hrs if I'm being honest.

Comment

There’s no negative effects of dry brining for an extended time. Obviously you can’t dry brine indefinitely because the meat will spoil, but it’s gonna spoil eventually whether you dry brine it or not.

Comment

When ur hungry and opt out and go to McDonalds

Comment

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t get it

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When you become soooo hungry from not cooking and eating what ur dry brining that you tap out and go to McDonalds.
                  my dry sense of humor

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same concept, I've made a frozen pizza well my brisket was in the stall

Even for meat that I'm planning on freezing and cooking maybe weeks later, I dry brine right away.

Kosher salt isn't "pink" salt and I've never detected any kind of curing when dry-brining days or even weeks in advance.

Granted, I didn't give a scientific answer. Having said that, I've done this countless times and always produced juicy well-seasoned meat without any kind of curing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here