Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide, Smoked, Glazed Baby Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Even though I have an Anova, I don't know if I am going to try this. I love long, low and slow smoked St Louis cut ribs. But I can't say never...

Comment

Do you find them to be more tender or exponentially improved over simply smoking them? I've considered SV for pork ribs, but other than perhaps a couple of hours on the back end I don't see the economy. Looking forward to your review.

Comment

I love to sous vide stuff but ribs and pulled pork I still cant see it...but I will try soon enough.

Waiting until I have to cook a less than prime/CAB brisket to do it for a briskie.

Comment

I have too much fun sitting outside babysitting my loaded smokers to want to really get engaged into QVQ or SVQ. I'm marginally interested in brisket, perhaps, because I can see that QVQ would pretty much ensure a tender moist end result.

But still, there's something about wishing, hoping, adjusting, peeking, cussing, adjusting, wishing and hoping some more that makes the all day outdoor experience a ton of fun. Especially with some sips of an alcohol beverage involved. Just a bit, though, since I'm a lightweight in that area.

So how did the ribs taste, EJ Ledet ? Better than smoked only? They sure look pretty.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            You forgot "ruining" in your list.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going to buy you an Anova for your b'day Kathryn. Girl gotta get her SV on !!!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got two Joules, Troutman. In fact I'm thinking of SVing a chuck roast, poorly marbled, from grass fed beef and then Qing it with a couple more chuckies (smoked traditionally) on Friday. Not able to Q first for a QVQ. Too many of other irons in the fire today.

pkadare , thanks, Captain. They still look pretty.

Oh yeah, CaptainMike . How did I forget that one?

K.
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 28, 2019, 01:41 PM.

Only done pork ribs once and never tried beef ribs (although it's on the list). Pork ribs really didn't seem to benefit much so I don't think I'll be doing them that way again. Larger hunks of meat do; the larger the better.

Comment

I just did this a couple of weeks ago with one rack when it was raining all day.

I did not pre or post smoke the ribs.

I cut the rack into three equal pieces.

I lightly rubbed them with PBC rib rub then I SVd them for 22 hours at 150. Removed them from the bags and brushed with Sweet Baby Rays original. Then I charred them under my broiler.

I missed the smoke flavor and I did not care for the texture. They seemed too tender but they didn’t pull cleanly from the bone. They tasted a bit gelatinous.

I ate every last rib for dinner that evening and for lunch the next day so I’ll say they weren’t too bad but I probably won’t be trying that again.

Comment

I always have on hand a bottle of hickory smoke flavor. It goes into any thing I can't put on the smoker for some reason. Just be very careful with it, a little goes a long ways. And for heavens sake get the real stuff made from smoke not chemical made. Maybe add to your SV
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 28, 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

So I've done this a few times although with st. louis spare ribs. Finished some on the smoker and some on the grill and some under the broiler when it was raining out. I think i've posted my results on this site (or at a minimum commented on them). SV for 20-24 hours at 150 and then shock/chill and smoke for 1 hour or so to develop bark.

I have had good results but for some reason I find the resulting product to be extremely rich compared to my normal PBC smoked ribs. As in I can only eat 3 ribs vs. 6 ribs. I don't know if more fat/gelatin renders completely out of the ribs (and onto the coals) on the smoker or that more renders via SV so its more luscious. But I think it has its benefit going forward, namely if i didn't have 4-6 hours to do fully-smoked ribs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here