Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional-ish pulled pork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Looks delicious!

Leave a comment:

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah. I’m gonna do my next long cook with the normal grate. I was inspired to use expanded metal by some WSM mods, but it causes more problems than it solves.

I might wrap next time, or maybe even wrap in the cambro.

• Red Man
    replied
    I’ve found the kettle with SnS creates a lot of bark. I prefer a butcher paper wrap around 180 IT. Different cookers will have different bark.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    I had an SNS version with the grid in the bottom. I actually like the original better from an ash management standpoint.

I usually wrap after bark formation. Saves a couple hours and softens the bark just right for my taste.

Lots of ways to get there. All good.

I’ve done QVQ pastrami and pulled chuck, but haven’t tried Pulled pork that way yet.

Leave a comment:

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    A lawn plus kids running through the sprinklers while smoking pork is basically as good as it gets. Haha.

• 58limited
    replied
    Those look great! I always cook butts at 275, I always buy the bone-in ones that go on sale here, they run 8-11 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    I should add, I have done pulled pork a bunch of times, but always sous-vide and I have primarily used Meathead's Lexington dip, which I love. It mixes really nicely with slaw which is my preferred method for eating pulled pork.

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    I gotta say, medium rare brisket is worth it. I have never had brisket I like as much as the ones I do sous-vide. Also, roasts where you're not forming bark work well. There's a lot of convenience in it and it's not time picky. The best asparagus I've ever had was sous-vide as well.

It's just another tool. I'm using it less these days, but it's versatile and if I have to do a party mid-week or something, I can pop steaks in and no worry about anything.

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    Some of your comments on my previous post on this gave me ideas on what to try. Thanks!

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    I'll check them out. I'm already a big fan.

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    I'm in Las Vegas. It was 107ºF yesterday. With that said, shade trees do a lot to mitigate that. Summer is probably the worst outdoor cooking season in this city. Spring and autumn are wonderful and even winter is great.

• klflowers
    replied
    See, that is why I am glad I bought my house. It isn't the house, but the deck that houses my cookers...

Nice looking butts.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Yep Columbia Gold is a great sauce based on the mustard sauces of SC. You might also want to try the Western Carolina ketchup and vinegar based sauce. Here is a good one. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/lex...vinegar-sauce/ It is a thin sauce and I mix it with the pork after pulling add a little moisture. I then put several bottles of different sauces on tables for people to choose from regular sauce I put on the pp, hot, mustard, sweet KC.

I always take my bone in butts to 195 and never wrap. They have so much moisture and flavor. I also always cook them at 275. If the bone comes out clean they are done. I always try to get 8lb butts. Cut off any excess fat and skin on the outside of the butt before you put the rub on. It should have very little fat showing. The internal fat will keep it moist and the outside rub will develop a bark.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx for this. This post is another nail in the coffin for sous vide for me. I won't say that I'll never try it, but I love smokin' hunks o' meat 'till done.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    Wow, looks awesome.

I never tried the Colombia Gold, but if you like the mustardy sauces, try either of these:

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here