Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayday! Can my butt be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I died from food poisoning. Seriously, based on the earlier responses, and the advice we got from a local butcher, I went ahead and finished it. It turned out really well. I got it up to a bit over 200 F in much less time than I expected. People told me it wouldn't take that long on the Traeger, and to my surprise it didn't. The pulled pork was great, and everyone is fine. If I had seen some of the later responses to this thread I might have tossed it. But I was probably more concerned about the emotional cost, as my wife would have felt terrible if I had done that. Maybe it wasn't the wisest or safest choice, but it worked out well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190824_183144414.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	735756

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you and your wife! Looks delicious. I am far more concerned about canned non-acidic products (beans, veggies, etc.) than a big slab of meat. My wife regularly cleans the fridge, and finds some pretty suspicious items. I usually tell her that 'I will eat that.' (If one is a hoarder like me, it's good to have a partner who is not, although sometimes I have to dig deep in order to accept her help!)

Just a point to ponder. It takes how long to go from cold to hot on any piece of meat that we smoke. The meat is passing thru the danger zone in that time. And the critters are attacking it until They are dead around a temp stage of 140.
    now the faster thru the danger zone the better. However, meat surface get pasteurized at I think 167 for 5 seconds(I may be wrong which I’m sure I am, but something like that) so once the outside temp of the meat is pasteurized then all the critters are dead.
    Now you are allowed a certain amount of time to get in and out of the danger zone. Now they are correct of the toxins that are left behind. That’s what gets ya.
    If ya protect your meat when prepping (gloves, clean work station, no cross contamination etc, then you reduce the risk even for of having critters attacking your meat.
    Looks like ya did a fine job.
    Be sure to hang a sign that says do not turn off cooking in progress on the switch or plug to prevent future accidents

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here