Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoked ham loaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked ham loaf

This might be a thing just in Iowa, or the midwest. Grew up with mom making ham balls, great stuff. I figured I could kick it up a notch by smoking, and sure enough it has been done. What hasn't been done? This added another dimension to the flavor. Just put them on the pbc grate with grill mats. Made loafs instead of balls. Just added sauce as I ate them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_114023.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	732940

I certainly love smoked meatloaf, never heard of the ham variety, How is the loaf made?

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a mix of ground ham and pork and or hamburger. You can find recipes online.
      I use graham crackers as filler, some recipes call for saltines, but I think graham crackers add a lot more flavor. Ground ham is hard to find, but you can ask the butcher to grind up a ham for you. Hy Vee in the midwest has it.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      We have friends and property in IA so are very familiar with ham balls.

Man I love ham loaf! My gma used to make it... I can't find the recipe she had for the sauce she spooned over it during cooking...

not sure how you portion yours out.... we always did ours as in smaller portions so you would pick up a couple of individual loafs and put them on your plate. cooked batches of them in a pyrex dish or something similar.

man that brings back memories of a lot of family get togethers and holidays. some of the local meat shops around here will make the grind blend.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Mom always did ham balls, about half cup big.I did loafs just so I could smoke it. Here is her sauce.

1 can tomato soup
      1/3 cup vinegar
      1 1/8 cups brown sugar
      1 tsp dry mustard

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here