Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly AND burnt ends - 2 cooks in 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have to ask, I accidentally picked up sliced pork belly at Costco the other day. Admittedly I wasn't paying attention and thought it was bacon. I took it home and put it in the downstairs fridge, and forgot about it. It's about a week past its suggested sell date. I took it out and cut the package open and to my surprise it really didn't have a smell to it so I froze it until I could figure out what to do with it. (I like this idea!)

Two really stupid questions;
    1. Since there was no smell do you all think it's still good?
    2. Isn't pork belly bacon? If so do you still eat it like a meal? (From this post it appears you do.)

Comment

Dang Henrik I thought I was hungry before. 😍😋😍😋

Comment

Pork belly is always a win! Great pics!

Comment

Pork belly is the fresh meat that you start with to make bacon. Bacon is the belly after it is cured and sometimes smoked.

If it was in the original vacuum-sealed packaging until you opened it and it has no "off" odor, I'd cook it and eat it.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            It was in the foam tray with shrink wrap cover. Not vacuum packed, but definitely no smell.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            And, yes, you can cook belly exactly like bacon. It just won't have that salty, savory, cured flavor that bacon has.

edit: I know your belly is sliced, but you might be able to figure out a riff on burnt ends something like the guys are doing over here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nt-ends-recipe If you do, post the results -- I bet there are a lot of people who would be interested in your experience!

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the help!

I've got a question around pork belly and my Big Green Egg. Curing my first pork belly now. When it's time to go on my BGE (with the plate setter and end goal to get it to 150, following Meathead's method), should I use a water pan?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            No need for a water pan in the BGE.

Today or tomorrow...I shall sacrifice my four pound cured pork belly to the candy recipe.

Comment

I will be doing this tomorrow on the PBC!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here