Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly AND burnt ends - 2 cooks in 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly AND burnt ends - 2 cooks in 1

Well, as some of you know, I LOVE pork (also). So, what better way than to cook two pork bellies, two ways, at the same time? Beats me.

That's what I did. I used my Big Green Egg this time, but instead of running with the Smobot as I almost always do, I decided to get my Fireboard + Pit Viper a chance to shine. And shine it did. That combo is a killer when it comes to locking down temps. I fired up the grill and set the target temp to 140° C / 280° F, and that's it. The FB + PV did the rest. Just cruisin' :-)

Anywho, I had a large slab of pork belly, so I cut it in half, removed the skin, and applied my KC Royale rub. I smoked one half as a 'normal' pork belly. The other half was cubed up to make burnt ends. The whole cook was just a little over 3 hours. I usually never cook pork belly longer.

I took the 'normal' pork belly when internal temp was 91-92° C / 195-197° F, as it was probe tender then. Wrapped it in a Faux Cambro for an hour, then sliced.

The cubes were smoked for 2 hours, then covered with a dark syrup and aluminum foil for 50 minutes. I then uncovered them, added more syrup, and let them caramelize for 20 more minutes.

So, how was it? Dang dang good! My goodness, pork belly like this is like the wholy trinity of BBQ: fat, salt and sugar. So good it hurts.

The raw meat, with rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	537.7 KB ID:	732835

My trusted Fireboard + Pit Viper, ready for action

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly-3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	534.6 KB ID:	732836

The burnt ends. Pure goodness

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly-4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	618.7 KB ID:	732837

And here's the full package: regular pork belly slices to the left, burnt ends to the right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly-5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	732838

The best thing about the whole cook was that I could munch away on the burnt ends while the regular pork belly was in faux cambro. It sure made the wait a lot easier

Oh it looks and sounds so good.

Comment

Looks thoroughly delicious! How well do you think the burnt ends would re-heat if I were to make them a day in advance of a gathering?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you can reheat them just fine. But do it in an aluminum pan, covered. That way you lock in the steam while reheating.

Oh man, does that look good. I had burnt ends for lunch at a local BBQ joint, but they looked (and probably tasted) nowhere near as good as those do.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it's one of those cooks where I was glad I'm by myself, 'cause I have this silly grin on my face while cooking (and later) eating...

Sounds great. I just picked up some pork belly about 5 minutes ago.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear!

Porkalicious! 🐷

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed!!

It's swine time !!! Love pork candy burnt ends, always a crowd favorite.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure is. I had a hard time restraining myself while resting the meat.

OK, you convinced me, pork belly is on my bucket list.
      Now I gotta find some place up here that sells it.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully you can order some online if noone carries it locally. It's worth it.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not into online meat, when I shop for meat I want to see and touch what I'm buying.
        Old habits die hard in some things.
        Then I drive for a courier and seeing/hearing the forgotten about for days trailers full of freight in the yard...yikes....

Ya got my mouth waterin' - again.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        These are crazy good, I gotta tell you. If I'm ever in the situation where I'm asked what I want for a last meal, the answer is invariably gonna be: pork belly :-)

Damn this looks good Henrik
      You are a master at making pork! 👍

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!

Both currently my favourite BBQ meals and make them at least twice a week. Those look subperb Sir.

Comment

Mmm. You inspired me to run to Costco and pick up a pork belly before the weekend!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, it's good for ya!

That looks marvelous!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

WOW WOW WOW! Never done pork belly, but I have to try it now! Looks great Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, and yup, you need to :-)

I like where your head is at!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here