Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs & Butt cook - Ribs on top in cooker or butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs & Butt cook - Ribs on top in cooker or butt?

Hey y'all! Happy Dog Days!

So., my thinking is one will drip delicious juices onto the other. Which would benefit the most though?
    Does it even make a difference?

I'm going to be vacuum sealing the butt to take to the lake for the holiday and pulling on site, if that matters.
    (The ribs shall be et immediately after the hold )

Butt on top, since the ribs will be put in raw a few hours after the start of the cook. That's assuming you are trying to get both meats done at around the same time.

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve! The ribs are for me (and a few friends?) to eat while the butt is cookin.

I'm tired of doing these longish cooks and still being hungry because I'm just cookin in advance. It ain't right!

When I first started smoking, on a Bradley electric smoker, I used to put what I was smoking on the second rack down, and cover the top rack with bacon. I came to realize after the first few cooks, that other than having a crap load of bacon grease in the bottom of the smoker, no real bacon flavour was imparted to whatever it was dripping on. I think that you'll find the same.
    Last edited by pkadare; August 20, 2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      That does make sense. If it rolls right off the ribs, why wouldn't it do the same once it drips on the butt.

I don’t know what you are cooking on, but when I cook with two levels on my BGE the top level runs hotter than the bottom. If I doing your cook and wanted to eat while the butts cooked the ribs would go on the top since the would finish first. Of course, if you wanted to have them finish closer to the same time I would reverse the positions and cooking at 225 I would wait 6 hours before putting the ribs on.

Comment

What LA Pork Butt said. Depends on what you are cooking on. kamado temps can be significantly higher as you rise up on the dome. The pork butt is much more temperature tolerant than the ribs so I would put the butt up high if I had to. I could fit a couple racks along with the butt at grate level on my Primo XL.

Comment

Agree with LA Pork Butt and fttank. My reasoning is that the ribs will be done first and you will eat them first, so if they are on top that will be easiest.

Comment

Bingo. Thanks gents! Sounds like I was overthinking things again, but I am cooking on an offset that does get slightly hotter on the top rack so that's where the ribs will go.

Comment

You can always do what Harry Soo did at this competition. He had a pork belly base, followed by a layer of ribs, then a layer of bacon, then ribs, more bacon topped with a final rack of ribs. If this isn't death by pork I don't know what is. Did all that on a Weber 18" Smokey Mountain. Does that constitute a whole hog on 18"? I just don't know....

Comment

You can do pork in any layers you want. The fat has the same flavor whether it be belly, shoulder, ribs or ham. Now if you add smoked bacon that is different, you will get the smoke flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here