Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife's pork puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's pork puller

I'm posting pics of a pork butt cook I did yesterday. Nothing special about the cook, but I'm anticipating a cook coming up in October where I'll be pulling 14+ butts for an event, and I've been eyeballing gadgets designed to "pull" pork quickly. I was about ready to hit buy on one of those attachments that go on a drill, sort of like a paint stirrer. Then I came across another guy on the internet who made use of a different device, and little did I know it was already sitting on my kitchen counter top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_175215.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	731947

Name:	20190817_175829.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	731948

Name:	20190817_180229.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	731949
    I tried using the hook on there first, but it did not work as well as the paddle. And man, that paddle works great at pulling the pork in just a few seconds. That Kitchen Aid mixer has been sitting there all along and it turns out to be a pretty good tool! I think I'll use it next month with the big cook I have planned.

Name:	20190817_180817.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	731950

Beauty bark on that butt and a novel idea for pulling pork, guess we'll have to pop for mixer of some kind.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think this replaces traditional pulling, but it's a pretty good tool for production work.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My back just can't handle tradition pulling anymore so always looking for relief somehow.
      Sucks to get old....

Great lookin' butt and a great idea. We have a Kitchenaid too.

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Well, dang... got that same setup on the kitchen counter as we speak. Good to know!

Comment

What a great idea! Right at hand. Thx!

Comment

Thanks for the idea! I'll have to try that next time I have a bunch of butts to pull. My wife likes to keep clutter off the counters, so that same Kitchenaide stand mixer lives on a shelf in the pantry when not in use.

Comment

Great idea, but with my luck I would have pulled pork stuck to the ceiling.🙂

Comment

I still don’t get it. Insulated rubber gloves. Takes less than a minute.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca, maybe I am slow, but it takes me more than a minute to pull a butt. Probably 5 with my claws and picking out any blobs of gristle or fat. Not a huge deal if its just one or two. When I smoke 8-10 butts, that's an hour of pulling pork. If I smoke 14-15 for my daughter's wedding, I'll be looking for ways to speed up the process.

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don’t sweat it. Mosca still ain’t convinced that that gall darn horseless carriage fad is going anywhere.🙂

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aw shoot, jfmorris, if i was doing more than a couple I’d pull out the drill, too. I use those insulated rubber gloves when I need to move meat during a cook, it just seems natural to me to pull pork with them. mrteddyprincess, for me it’s more of a PITA to find the drill. I KNOW where the gloves are!

I use it all the time for salmon in salmon dip, or chicken do chicken dip. Used it the other day to pull some chicken right in the sauce for smoked chicken spaghetti. It spreads it too much and too even for me though when I'm wanting pulled beef or pork, or even chicken sammiches

Comment

I can definitely see the use in doing this when processing multiple butts. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

If I have to do multiple butts, I'm definitely using this as an option.

Comment

I've used this a bunch for shredding chicken breasts, but for some reason (points finger at self) it never occured to me to try it with pork. Well now it occured to me.

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

My daughter did that and we all agreed it was too mushy on a trial run. Perhaps she overdid it. Get 2 or 3 people with bear claws and it doesn't take that long.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                            mrteddyprincess commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I just had time to comment on this now. I agree. It takes way less time with that paddle than I would have thought, and one part of my pull was right there on the verge of being "too" pulled.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here