Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Streaky Bacon, Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaky Bacon, Round 2

I made bacon again, my second time making side bacon. They both turned out fantastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4521.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	731272

Both right about 1 kilo after I took the rind off.

The one on the left got Turbinado sugar, some garlic, and a pepper crust before it went into the smoker. The right-hand one got brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the cure and a dusting of hot Hungarian paprika before smoking.

smoked at 225-250 for about 2 hours with a couple small hickory chunks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4522.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	731273

The turbinado and backing off the sugar by half from the Basic Bacon recipe got the sweet right where I want it, it's there without the molasses sticking out like with brown sugar. The paprika one is just killer. Perfect balance between sweet, heat, and salt.

Amounts, so when I inevitably loose the piece of paper I wrote my notes on I can remember what I did.

#1 (pepper crust)

928 g side meat
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1.5 tablespoons turbinado
    1 tablespoon pepper
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    3 g Prague powder #1

#2 (paprika)
    1100 g side meat
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    3 g Prague powder #1

They both look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipes. I would not of thought to add paprika to bacon, but may have to try that next time. How much paprika did you add (I don't see it on the list)?

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      If I'm not mistaken, the recipes are just for the cures. From the body of his post, "and a dusting of hot Hungarian paprika before smoking."

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, just a solid dusting, like putting a layer down on a rack of ribs. Enough that it's covered but the meat still shows through.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've always confined my spices to the cure and never added more before smoking.

Comment

This sounds like something I need to try...

First of all, where do I get "side meat"? This looks a bit more meat than fat compared to the pork bellies I can get. Can I order it online somewheres?

I am seriously hankerin' to do some bacon, but I need a slicer. I was given one by a neighbor, but after using it twice, it's been put away for about 4 years, as I CANNOT. FIND. A. WAY. to break it down for cleaning. Thus, cleaning takes FOREVER and I end up finding reasons NOT to do meat that will need slicing more than just brisket.

And I need a big meat fridge to do cures in, too.

Dangit... MCS is bad enough, I need a buncha other stuff (and room for it), too!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I use my brisket knife and can slice pretty thing and evenly with it. I do a belly worth of bacon about once a month and never bothered buying a deli slicer. FWIW

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
      This sounds like something I need to try...

First of all, where do I get "side meat"? This looks a bit more meat than fat compared to the pork bellies I can get. Can I order it online somewheres?

I am seriously hankerin' to do some bacon, but I need a slicer. I was given one by a neighbor, but after using it twice, it's been put away for about 4 years, as I CANNOT. FIND. A. WAY. to break it down for cleaning. Thus, cleaning takes FOREVER and I end up finding reasons NOT to do meat that will need slicing more than just brisket.

And I need a big meat fridge to do cures in, too.

Dangit... MCS is bad enough, I need a buncha other stuff (and room for it), too!
      A very sharp, long slicing knife will work. A slicer is, of course more uniform for most of us and makes it easier to slice a whole chunk at once.

I get belly with about as much meat as above - you just need to be picky at the butcher.

As for needing a meat fridge... depends on your current one. If you do 4lb chunks, you can usually fit them in 2 gallon ziploc bags so you can slide in a belly and its cure, close it, rinse and repeat and stack them. Don't stack 2+ in the same bag though.

Also, I dry cure, which makes this a lot easier.
      Last edited by rickgregory; March 21, 2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I have a long brisket slicer, I'm just not looking forward to doing 10lbs of bacon at a time by hand - plus I would be irritated by it being all messed up looking. I'm not a great slicer.
        When you dry cure you put it in a ziploc, too? It probably gets a fair amt of liquid that comes out during the cure, right?

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah for 10lbs at a time, you want a slicer.

Dry cure - yeah, I ziploc and put that in a shallow cambro in case of leaks. There's definitely liquid that comes out. I flip it every day or so for about a week depending on thickness.

I use Ruhlman's cure here https://ruhlman.com/homemade-bacon/ making sure to rub it all over both sides, evenly. The advantage of the dry cure is that the cambro with a lid makes it stackable and the whole thing takes much less fridge volume
        Last edited by rickgregory; March 21, 2021, 01:23 PM.

DogFaced PonySoldier No need to hunt up side meat, that's just what the butcher shop on the way to work has on the regular. It's basically belly, just from higher up on top of the spare ribs.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but that's what I'm WANTING! I don't mind the fattiness of regular belly, especially if you can render some of it out - but The Wife would MUCH rather have the side meat/side belly, I'm thinking. She doesn't like all the fat.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here