Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crutch and Cambro (or not) a Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any advantage to the cambro over the "power cambro" (heated oven or smoker) method? I have a Flame Boss 300 and can hold low temps with (150°F) with the press of a button.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you watched Malcom Reeds YouTube video on his experiment about carry over heat? Some very interesting results.

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      Should I feel ridiculous that you mention this YouTube video as if I should I know who Malcom Reed is? (A quick Google search and I recognize him from some videos I have watched actually.)

Watching now. (17 minutes on carryover temperatures. Man, we're a bunch of nerds, lol.)

When you hit the stall raise the temp to 300 you will be through it in no time and can finish at the normal temp. I cook at 275 and don't ever have much of a stall it lasted about 15min on my last butt cook.

I never cambro either. I cover with foil and let rest on counter till it reaches 150 on the counter top, so it is cool enough to pull. It sort of acts as a faux Cambro as it takes a while to drop down that low. Do not listen to anyone who says that they Cambro to melt the collagen. It starts to melt at 160 and is fully melted by 200 when you take the butt off.

Well good luck on your pork butt cook.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I will disagree, it doesn't fully melt *at* a temp, it takes time. That's the purpose of the faux cambro, to add that extra helping of time to let it happen.

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      Collagen, so far as I know, does break down below 160ºF. Thats's how I can get a tender brisket in sous-vide at only 132ºF. It's a matter of does a certain temperature give you enough breakdown over the space of allotted time. I'll keep a brisket at that temperature for three days.

Huskee I did not say it melted at a Temp it starts to melt at 160 and over time is fully melted by the time you pull it. I never Cambro just rest it till it is cool enough to pull at about 160. My exact words were: "It starts to melt at 160 and is fully melted by 200 when you take the butt off." I should have added "Because of the time it takes to get there and back to pulling temperature."
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 15, 2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      We are all painfully aware of your feelings about SV and not only do you not address your error, you attempt to insult me. Ad hominem, the last resort of someone who can't properly defend their position.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare No I did meadt insult you I just stated that pellet smokers put out very little smoke and that you would probably use one for its easy use. Get off your high horse it takes time for proper Q. SV is a terrible way to make Q. Very little smoke is taken up by the meat. Smoke and bark is what Q is all about and you cannot get it if you SV your meat before hand.

Sorry again if you took it as an insult.

I will make no other comments on this subject.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker - You did try to insult me, and you've tried again in this last comment. You're trying to deflect from your incorrect assertion about collagen melting and have weakly tried to make this about your mistaken feeling about SV. You're not fooling anyone here, least of all me.

Understand that these choices are nuances. The main thing is to salt/season it right, heat it right, and give it enough time to get to 200* or so.

For my cooks, I try to adjust the pit temperature to predict the end time. 225* will give me around 12 hours, 275 will give me around 8 hours. YMMV. Size of the roast will affect the numbers, among other things. And, this is for daytime cooks, and when I can monitor the action. If it’s overnight, I stay under 250*.

All this leads to: I don’t crutch, I do cambro. That’s because I usually allow too much time for the cook: meat done at 4, dinner at 6. If I didn’t allow enough time, I would probably do the opposite: meat not done at 4, crutch for a couple hours.

I’ve taken the roast right off the pit and pulled it, and it’s been fantastic. No fear. But if it needs to rest because guests aren’t arriving for several hours, holding it doesn’t hurt it at all.

Comment

Mosca thanks. Conceptually, I get cambros. It's just popping something into a heavily insulated container and, if it's above a certain temperature, it's going to have an effect similar to a more gentle cook or potentially even a kinda sous-vide deal (without that vide, lol). I think I was trying to home in on whether a gentle cook inside the cambro, which would be enclosed, versus something like keeping a low temperature oven or even my cooker at a lower temp has negative by comparison.

Obviously, if you need to transport it, you gotta use a cambro. But it seems to me I can do the whole cook with no crutch and no true cambro if I aim to be done early and just hold the meat at a lower temp—like 150ºF. I figure if this is a piece of meat that can cook for up to like 20 hours, an extra two at a low temperature certainly isn't going to dry it out.

Do you think time inside the cambro is beneficial in some way that keeping it warm in dry heat environment is not? (Aside for being able to transport it.)

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        I will be forced to run multiple controlled experiments. For science, of course.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know that a cambro is better than dry heat, but intuitively I think it is. But I could be wrong, so...

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        When I cambro in the oven set to 170, the meat is always wrapped or at least covered. This creates the same moist environment. I usually turn the oven off an hour or so before serving the meat and try not to leave it at 170 for more than two hours or so. Too long at 170 will continue to cook the meat.

Originally posted by binarypaladin View Post
      Mosca thanks. Conceptually, I get cambros. It's just popping something into a heavily insulated container and, if it's above a certain temperature, it's going to have an effect similar to a more gentle cook or potentially even a kinda sous-vide deal (without that vide, lol). I think I was trying to home in on whether a gentle cook inside the cambro, which would be enclosed, versus something like keeping a low temperature oven or even my cooker at a lower temp has negative by comparison.

Obviously, if you need to transport it, you gotta use a cambro. But it seems to me I can do the whole cook with no crutch and no true cambro if I aim to be done early and just hold the meat at a lower temp—like 150ºF. I figure if this is a piece of meat that can cook for up to like 20 hours, an extra two at a low temperature certainly isn't going to dry it out.

Do you think time inside the cambro is beneficial in some way that keeping it warm in dry heat environment is not? (Aside for being able to transport it.)
      When people said pork butts/shoulders are very forgiving, at first I didn’t understand. But once you’ve done a bunch of them, you realize that they are the easiest way to make everyone think you are a BBQ ROCK STAR. They are about as easy as boiling hot dogs. Easier than grilling hot dogs, for sure. For example, dry brining. If you forget, don’t sweat. Salt the thing, then rub it and cook it. Pit temp cratered? No big deal. Put it in the oven at 250. Pit temp soared to 375? as long as you didn’t walk away for 4 hours, no problem; shut your dampers and let it fall to 225-250, and continue the cook. And even if you did walk away, it’s probably still okay, as long as the internal is under 200.

People do these things in crock pots and Dutch ovens. They come out great that way. The only conclusion then is that pork butts WANT to be delicious.

Comment

• binarypaladin
        binarypaladin commented
        Editing a comment
        It is their deepest desire. Haha.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here