Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wibs done Tuscany Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wibs done Tuscany Style

A change of pace, TW - Tuscan Wibs. Thought I’d do something a little different. Saw it in Cooks Country (an arm of ATK). I also checked other sources to give this a good test run. It was interesting as a change. I had to sell my wife on the idea. And the cooking time intrigued me, it ended up about 30 minutes total cook time.
    I started with a St. Louis wack of Wibs and cut them into two bone sections. Salted them, let em set for a bit, started a chimney of coals, made a vinaigrette, then oiled & peppered the wibs. Put the wibs meat side down over the coals for 5 m’s, flipped for 6 m’s, back over to meat side for 6 m’s then flipped em 2 min a side until I got to 180-190.
    As advertised, they were different, chewy, moist, and fatty. The crust was tasty, especially in the vinaigrette, which was evoo (1/4 cup), crushed rosemary, juices from two lemons, a couple of shots of red wine, a tap of roasted garlic. It was enjoyable and fast. Would I try it again? Maybe in a year or two. There is a reason it is not the rage as BBQ. I couldn’t eat it 14 times a week like Wibs that have been Q’d. Click image for larger version

Name:	9A2BDB3C-E11F-46F2-8AF3-3B135E89F368.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	727872Click image for larger version

Name:	E933D818-E00A-41F3-BF8A-70C9AB05ABAD.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	727875Click image for larger version

Name:	3E204605-D543-4894-B548-CF8C9A349178.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	727873Click image for larger version

Name:	7BA0D24D-7393-44BA-869D-962C6E030D5B.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	727874Click image for larger version

Name:	22575F3E-BEEF-45F2-A839-C645693CB2CB.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	727876Click image for larger version

Name:	353DC846-C4A4-4446-B31A-88625510DD2C.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	727877Click image for larger version

Name:	A42DD33C-C01B-4186-B0D1-5B7656B69DA7.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	727879Click image for larger version

Name:	D6DEF06F-7D10-41B9-94B1-F785703533B7.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	727878Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD8AA20-CE9E-464F-B92D-B2964B197447.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	727881Click image for larger version

Name:	4A12942C-2F9B-4316-840B-B56EC3A002EA.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	727880Click image for larger version

Name:	BFF14FA4-4742-4FB4-8D6E-90F18EA53DF3.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	727884Click image for larger version

Name:	D5E53815-6AD1-46C6-8897-3622E976D676.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	727883Click image for larger version

Name:	549B1CDC-3B92-4216-9AD8-25FA72C41016.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	727882

I like a good Tuscan steak but have never tried it on pork. It also goes good on lamb.

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

I trust your judgement and I think I'll pass. To me thats a project for country ribs/shoulder strips, not WIBZ!

Comment

Nice write up and pics! I'm with you on it being hard to give up Q'd wibs. By the time you get around to smoking 'em you want the original!

Comment

What if you slow cooked with that marinade?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what my wife asked. She said it would be good on a number of things. I or someone may try.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              It is excellent on chicken.

I really think you should give it another try, this time use Meathead's recipe. Mrs. Meathead has a wonderful Italian dressing that really kicks up the flavor. (I also add a tbsp of Accent to really amp the flavor!)

I don't add very much smoke at all and I let the charcoal do most of the talking on this cook. Typically I run hot too, maybe around 300 F, so the fire burns cleaner and I get a really nice roasted crust on the ribs. So, I guess, this is more of a roasted ribs recipe for me. However, I really love it.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree with Spinaker. Try Meathead's Tuscan ribs recipe.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks good, too.

I always Greatly admire yer ingenuity, an intrepidity, Brother...

Not utterly convinced that I'll be tryin this method, anytime soon...but might feel differently, tomorrow.

I always enjoy learnin alternate methods, an techniques

Comment

And these wibs was on direct heat all the time FireMan?

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yessir, & probably closer to 450+ F than Spin’s mentioned 300.

I’ve done these a couple times this summer, including last week; I love them! It’s a grilling recipe, not a BBQ recipe. I get the grill up to steak temps, like 550-600. The first time, I did two-rib sections, the second time I removed every other rib, so each rib had double meat.

They’re ribs. They are great no matter what! Think about it, if it’s 4PM and you are shopping for dinner, and want ribs, this is how to do them.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...bs-rosticciana
              Last edited by Mosca; August 11, 2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. Lack of planning is frequently the mother of invention and the dictator of method.

This is something my folks have done for a long time and that’s how I ate them growing up. Since the folks were transplanted from Italy they didn’t use bbq sauces, ketchup and etc... just wasn’t part of what they were used to. Now they have been introduced to smoking and they like it but nothing heavy with sauces. Rosemary and pork go really well and a major part of why I like Meatheads Memphis Dust. So with the Tuscan ribs I modified for my mom and she loves it, marinate them overnight, wrap in foil and grill, and then sear for a crust. They come out amazing.

Comment

I weawey wike hot and fast wibs evewey wunce in a while.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wee wee? Oh so nice,

This actually brings back a lot of memories as to the way I used to grill ribs. I'd usually used my Italian dressing/Woody's mixture for a marinade (same concoction is use for my HJ Leggie chicken) and mop, grilled them hot and fast trying to avoid burning the suckers. That's the key is not overcooking them. If you get it right they actually are pretty good, a little more chewy then I prefer these days, but great flavor. Fact is my wife has asked me more then once why I don't cook them that way, she actually prefers the grilled flavor.

Nice post FireMan, give us some more of your technique type cooks.

Comment

I must say, as leftovers, they are weewee good cold, weewee!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here