Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belly Rib or Pork Short Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belly Rib or Pork Short Rib

I picked up these two beasts at the local butcher last night. He described them as a spare rib with pork belly attached and said that they were analogous to beef short rib. He suggested smoking them lightly and then braising them in stock or red wine. I have experience smoking ribs, but have never tried my hand at the belly. I am interested if anyone has any experience with this combo cut and what suggestions you might have. Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Belly rib.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	727774
    Last edited by Spacecase; August 9, 2019, 05:07 PM.

Oak or a fruitwood, 250f until 195-200f. Salt/pepper/praprika/garlic rub. Sauce last 2 mins if you want

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      My 2 Argentine pesos that is worth .044c usd

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some valuable currency. Thanks.

You have spare ribs and unsmoked belly meat from which bacon is made attached. Smoke the ribs like you normally do. The belly meat will also smoke well. Normally there is just a small piece of belly on top of the ribs.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 9, 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

For the next BBQ school I do I have the same thing ordered from the butcher but with the loin attached. Giant smoky rib!!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        We call those baby back ribs.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        So, Ahumadora if I follow what you've ordered, you'll have pretty much the whole forward part of the loin saddle from top to bottom? Skin on or off? I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out!
        Last edited by johnec00; August 10, 2019, 11:10 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here