Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slicing

Hi folks. I was just perusing some restaurant supplies companies and I wondered. What do you guys use to slice your bacon? do you have slicers? does your butcher do it? or do you simply cut with a knife?

Cold homemade slab I use my Benriner mandolin slicer.

Comment

My wife slices it her her work Click image for larger version

Name:	P9020308.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	71842 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9040309.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	71843

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        That's some loverly bacon!!!

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        The fat to meat ratio is so much better in home made bacon and the flavor is even better. The first day I had it, I had bacon with breakfast, a BLT for lunch, and a bacon cheeseburger for dinner. LOL

I use this, from Amazon,Chef's Choice 609 premium Electric Food Slicer, about $100. Does the job fine; I like it because everything comes apart for easier cleaning. I also have an older version; it works fine but doesn't come apart as much. I use it for meat (bacon, jerky, French dip, etc.), bread, and occasionally veggies. Big enough & plenty of power for such uses.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        We have a little electric deli slicer. I have NO idea where we found it or even why we bought it. although, I tend to think it was so I could make Jerky. We lived in Texas when my father left the Navy. and my grandmother made jerky. I LOVED it! We moved to Chattanooga when I was about 7. My mom says I used to grab a huge bag of jerky and go out to play, happily munching on and sharing my "Cowboy Food". I have always loved simple salt & pepper jerky. the only problem was, it never lasted long and was quite the operation to make.

I haven't made jerky in quite some time but when we started making Bacon, I was really glad to bring the old slicer out to use again.

I use my 12-inch granton edge slicing knife

Comment

I use a "commercial grade" slicer that I got from Cabela's. I have no idea who makes them for Cabela's but it's a pretty sturdy unit. It's a bit of a chore to clean up but when I do bacon, I tend to do a 50# case at a time so it makes it worthwhile. I used a smaller (cheaper) one for a while but it overheated when doing a big batch necessitating too many 20 minute intermissions in the process. It was easier to clean though and still get used for smaller slicing jobs like a smaller chunks of Canadian bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here