Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Ribs

A question for the collective. When salting ribs for a dry brine, do you salt the ribs side as well as the meaty side? I salt both, but I'm curious as to what others do.
    Meat side only.
    16.28%
    Both sides.
    81.40%
    What is this dry brine you refer to?
    2.33%

We never dry brine with salt, I put dry rub on both sides, there is minimal salt in my rubs.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Curious as to why you don't dry rub? A medical aversion to salt perhaps? I have high blood pressure (under control with meds) and am careful with my salt intake. The only thing I add salt to is meat when dry brining.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      My father had high blood pressure so when my mother cooked very little to no salt so have carried it on to adult life.
      I do carry more weight than I should but according to my Dr. I haven't developed HBP....so far....
      Whether the no salt thing has contributed is anybody's guess but Il'l take it.

Just a bit on the bone side.

Comment

I don’t dry brine ribs well maybe I do because the rub has salt in it and I always applied the rub the night before the cook.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto for me, only applied a couple of hours before the cook.

Kathryn

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there, D-Dub! Same here. Most ribs I see have already been injected/brined and don't need additional brining. If I'm using something like Plowboys Yardbird Rub (one of my go-to's) it goes on while the smoker is heating up.

Meat only and not long before the cook. To me they get a little too "hammy tasting" if I dry brine too much longer.

Comment

Over the last 4 years I've dry brined 2 nights prior and have applied a no-salt rub the night prior. Admittedly, I'm light-handed with the dry-brine. Having said that, I've always been happy with the results.

Comment

I go lighter on the bone side than I do on the meat side. Usually apply the night before.

Comment

I usually like to coat my ribs in dry rub (which contains salt) the night before I cook, so I guess I am technically dry brining. I do both sides.

Comment

Pull off the membrane and dry brine both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound usually overnight. No salt seasoning before the cook. Comes out great for me, but each palette to its own.

Comment

I pull the membrane and rub both sides. Salt is cheap, lay it on!

Comment

I do a light amount of salt probably about a 1/4 tsp/lb because one of the two rubs that I apply has some salt in it too. I go on both sides and try to go overnight with the dry brine then in am 2-4 hours or so before the ribs go on the smoker I apply the first rub (the saltier) and then the second rub just before they go on the smoker.

Comment

I light dry brine sometimes night before, sometimes a couple hours before. Rub is right before cooking on pretty much everything I put rub on.
                    Oh, and I eyeball it with the salt. Gave up measuring salt about a year ago.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here