Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauce in pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauce in pulled pork?

I have never added a "sauce" to my pulled pork but know some do. I smoke uncovered until internal temp is app 200, let rest a hour or so before pulling and it's always moist and delicious. I just wonder what other folks add to theirs. I'm always looking to improve. Thanks in advance.

I have sauce at the table but I don't sauce the meat before serving. Often folks say it's too good for sauce!

Comment

No sauce in mine, they can add it themselves if they want. Putting ketchup on steak...

Comment

Yea that's normally the same here. I'm doing ribs,brisket and pulled pork for a friends wedding party of app 60 people and i'm just wanting everything to be "my best". I use this site for all recipes and rubs and have no complaints. I love the site!!

Comment

Thin vinegar sauce is really good. Mustard sauces are too. KC style works- and people here expect it- but I like the others better. Good sauce recipes on this site.

Comment

When it's hot and I pull and serve right then, no sauce has been great.

When it's a bigger group, or we eat even 30 minutes later, I find I really like the sauce. I'm a fan of sweet, and Meathead 's Kansas City Sauce is what we used today, and it was great!

Comment

Last butt I made I added about 1/2 cup of apple juice mixed with a TBS of the rub I used on the butt. It added a nice layer of flavor, but did not overwhelm the smokey pork flavor.

Comment

I have used MH's East Carolina sauce and people love it. I usually put the E.C sauce on half and leave the other half plain. I have some KC sauce available for those that might like it.

Comment

• chudzikb
                  chudzikb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am a huge fan of the East Carolina sauce. Once converted, you don't go back, it just adds something good to the meat. I enjoy eating a bit when pulling as well, but, for sandwiches, East Carolina rocks!

• FLBuckeye
                  FLBuckeye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. The first time I made the EC sauce and applied it to pulled pork, literally all 30 people were raving

Pretty durned good "nekked" as The Man say's! On the other hand, I have a good friend originally from North Carolina that has shared her mustard/vinegar sauce recipe (very similar to MH's Columbia Gold) with me and that has converted a lot of Mid-Westerners to the Carolina approach to saucing pulled pork!

Comment

I pull the butt off the smoke around 170 - 180 and then put it in the oven to finish. The reason is so that I can make up a batch (usually actually needs a double batch) of MH's Lexington dip and put that in a baking pan below the smoked pork which sits on a rack above. I then cook it around 250 or so till it hits 203, during which time the drippings mix with the Lexington dip to create a delicious smoky vinegary sauce. I then mix this sauce 50/50 with MH's KC classic, it is by far my favourite sauce for pork. I also always go with MH's SC mustard bbq sauce as well, it is just so tough to beat that stuff!

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea!

• bbqoaf
                    bbqoaf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Huskee, after reading your post below, I am thinking the smokey Lexington Dip would be dynamite combined with MH's SC Mustard sauce. I am doing pork butts for my Dad's Bday on Saturday and I am going to try this out then.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    bbqoaf Oh yeah! My KC sauce is way more vinegary than the standard tomato-heavy KC sauces, and that's what I use so I bet you'll be onto something there. My sauce (Huskee's Original Shawsh) recipe is in the BBQ sauce channel in case you're interested, easy peasey to make and yum yum.

I too am of the MMM (Meat Matters Most) mentality, and sauce is always on the side. The only thing that HAS to have sauce on it in my house is enchiladas.

I've posted this before a few times, but somethign I really enjoy doing is making Meathead's Columbia Gold mustard sauce, (it's awesome as-is) and mixing it 50/50 with my KC style sauce and adding just a little splash of lime juice. It is incredible on pulled pork and chicken. I call it Michigan Amber. I made it with Maker's Mark bourbon and cherry juice once but didn't care for it that way as much.

Comment

I like to throw a large can of tomatoes into a loaf pan and put it in the smoker for a couple of hours. It gets pureed as a base for sauce. I usually will make a KC style sauce (pretty much always do for pulled pork) but I also like the tang and spiciness of a Western Carolina sauce.

For pulled pork I lightly dress all of the pork with my smoked KC sauce. Once it's on the bun I like to pour on a little of my homemade hot sauce and top it with a dollop of creamy coleslaw. The combination of different flavors is wonderful. The smoke, the bark and the tenderness of the pork and the sweetness of the KC sauce topped by the heat and tang of the hot sauce which is topped by the creamy crunch of the slaw.

Just talking about it makes me want to pull a butt out of the freezer and get to work.

Comment

I am also a sauce on the side guy.....I typically do two....one is the Carolina style sauce, vinegar based, and the other is a KC style, thicker sweeter. I have a big family so it works for most. And then, some like it plain......

Comment

I pulled mine last time with a mopping sauce... it came out ok. Not sure I will do it again though, not real fond of the vinegar taste. We used Meathead's East Carolina Kiss & Vinegar Barbecue Sauce & Mop

Create your own amazing East Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce and mop with this simple to follow recipe. Tangy and spicy, Low Country vinegar sauce is great for finishing fatty pork and does double duty as a baste (or mop) for adding layers of flavor to the meat as it cooks. Because it is so thin, it penetrates deep.

Comment

I just smoked two PBs a couple of days ago. My go-to is Meathead's Lexington Dip, but I set it on the table. I like to serve that PB nekkid and let folks add their own sauce. My DH's preference is a blend of Jardine's 5-Star and Killer BBQ sauces. I like that on ribs, but for pulled pork, it's Lexington Dip all the way!

That said, @bbqoaf , I'm going to give your method (in Reply #10 here) a try the next time I fire up a PB or two in the PBC. It sounds tasty indeed.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here