Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging ribs and crutching (and maybe alternatives?)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging ribs and crutching (and maybe alternatives?)...

I don't know if this is confession-worthy, but I don't crutch my ribs... ever. There's three reasons:

1. I avoid disposables where possible.
    2. It's a pain.
    3. I hang my ribs in a WSM in a setup very similar to a PBC and I'm not really sure how crutching would work.

So, let's start with the last one, since it's really the only thing that matters: can you do it and how so? Do you wrap them and hang them? Seems like the liquid is going to work in a very different manner and probably be more difficult to contain in terms of leaks.

The reason I ask is I noticed this conversation tonight related to maple ribs. This seems like a worthy weekend project. However, Meathead suggests following his recipes as written on the first go. Historically this has always worked out well for me. This recipe, however, calls for a crutch with Apple juice. Either I crutch hanging or I find some kind of viable alternative. (Or I cook one rack in the kettle but for the time involved, my minimum on ribs is 3 racks. I have no problem finding takers!)

Anyway, I'd like to try this mostly by the book, but ribs always equal PARTY TIME! So, what are my options for going a bit off script here? Maybe have some apple juice below to catch some drippings?

I too tend to follow MH's recipes as written the first time through with one exception. I never crutch anything. Just not how I roll.

Comment

I don't crutch ribs either. It'd sure be tricky to do it hanging them but not impossible, it'd just force all the jus to the bottom end. Might prove to be messy plus to truly crutch you'd need a fairly tight seal, and sealing around the hook might be a pain.

Comment

I did Franklin’s simple wibs awhile back & wrapped them as he did on my 22 w/SnS. They came out OK. Goin back to my PBC which is jus let em rip n’ drip. Nuthin like it. Planning on 3 or 4 St. Louie’s this weekend.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be sitting in a stadium surrounded by nonsmokers and eating grapes and deli meat thinking about yer smoking exploits.

I don’t crutch ribs either, but the crutch is part of the method in the maple ribs; after crutching you mix the juice, consisting of juice and drippings which now has incorporated some of the rub, into the glaze you are making.

I say, skip the crutch. Mix a tablespoon of MMD into the glaze.

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s kinda what I was thinking, along with some of the drippings. Either that or put a bowl with apple juice below the ribs to catch drippings infused with the rub.

I cannot imagine the finished product will be hugely different.

Well, if you really want to hang then crutch, PBC users wrap and put them on the grate to finish up. If that's not an option for you, those ribs, once wrapped, are clueless about their heat source. You could finish them up in the oven, unwrap, sauce, then broil them at the end.

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          You can braise them in foil in the oven at 225 until ready and a ts8000 torch with a searzall would take care of the quick broiling. ;-)

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yet another reason why I "need" a Searzall, Polarbear777 .

Kathryn

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. Haven’t used a torch yet. Maybe I’ll add that to the list of kitchen "needs" once I get a bigger kitchen.

I never crutch ribs and will never crutch. If I want maple ribs I use maple sugar in the rub and maple syrup in the baste.

I love maple syrup and order it routinely from a sugar house in Vermont.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here