Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tried the maple glazed rib recipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the maple glazed rib recipe.

Eh. I mean, they’re ribs, they’re going to be good. But the recipe calls for 3 1/2 hours, with 1/2 hour crutched, at 225; this needs about 4-5 hours at 225, or 3 1/2 to 4 hours at 250 or even 275. And, it calls for a cup of apple juice and 1/2 cup of maple syrup; it needs a lot more maple flavor. I would mix up some other sugars and sours into a more complex sauce.

I based my starting time on the recipe. I should have left them on longer, but I needed to get dinner on the table. Overall, this was a miss. They were still good, they’re ribs. But there’s a lot more potential there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	38A7DD44-0F7D-4147-B680-C15CB2F9D324.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	713173

Click image for larger version

Name:	C78021BD-6AA2-4B4E-9B06-C689817FEF85.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	713174

​​​​​​​

Keep practicing until you get it to your satisfaction That's half the fun, eh? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
      Keep practicing until you get it to your satisfaction That's half the fun, eh? ;-)
      Yep. I follow Meathead ‘s request to try the recipe the way its written, the first try. But there is so much possibility for variation from his back yard to mine.

Comment

I’ve been happy with St. Louie’s at 5 hours cook time at 275*. With all that sugar I’d be afraid of too much scorching, plus don’t like something overpowering the meat. But I can see why some would like them that way. Yours sure look good, good color and bone pull. There’s always next time! Thanks for sharing a cook you weren’t totally happy with,look forward to seeing them when you nail them 👍

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The texture was okay. They were moist, and had the right tug. The recipe calls for lots of MMD, so I used lots, double what I would normally. The glaze doesn’t go on until the last 5 minutes, so there isn’t really much chance of scorching. They were just sort of bland. They were still good, they’re ribs after all. But there is a better maple glazed rib recipe out there.

First I never Crutch my ribs, they are only an 2" thick and will never benefit from the crutch. I have tried it and it is not worth the effort. Second forget the apple juice and use all maple in your baste. Or 1/4 cup apple juice. I have maple sugar and use it in my rub so I don't use any in the baste. I also never baste as it will remove the rub.

Comment

I keep telling Mh that his rib times are in fast forward, lol! Mine are usually 5hrs min, typically 6ish. Unless I get really hefty racks where I live and he gets them tiny "baby" backs...but it sounds like I'm not alone. I think he finally edited one of his recipe's times based on my middle-of-the-night-disguised-voice phone calls. He's tired of me I'm quite sure.

Comment

I disagree with Jacques (as shown in the PBS video from Mosca) on this point. I think one should follow the recipe pretty closely the first time. There are often subtleties that you might overlook. A good recipe writer works hard to nail a recipe. But he/she nails it to his/her tastes. I wanted this recipe to have a nice maple glaze but did not want the maple flavor to overpower the pork. But I love maple syrup and I can surely see why one might want more! And I respect Mosca's expertise to not argue with his proposed mods. I discussed the PBS video with Jacques one evening and he confessed that he would prefer people follow his recipes the first time and then riff on them. Love to see what Mosca comes up with!
          Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            High praise indeed. I could watch this guy make eggs all day. I still make his omelette. Well not quite like his, ok.. no where close!

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead , MBMorgan is correct. Pepin says to follow the recipe the first time, as you also say. If you don’t, then you won’t understand it, and you won’t know what mods to make.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw this when it initially aired. When I posted my comment I did not re-watch. I did not remember him saying that.

I always follow a recipe exactly the first time!

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought it was compulsory to follow a recipe to the "T" first time :-)

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Is for me. Not just MH’s, but every one!

This is an outstanding recipe. I smoke st louie ribs usually 3.5 to 4lb racks for 5.5 to 6 hrs @ 250 unwrapped for the most part. When I make these I wrap for 1/2 hr to get the drippings for the glaze then I add more MMD and finish them unwrapped. My advice is you know how long ribs take to get them the way you like them simply do that with this recipe and you will be all good.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree. I don’t usually crutch, so I was a little out of my lane here.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca when "crutching" turns out to be a......crutch

Meathead ​​​​​Man. I love maple flavor, too. I like @mountainsmoker ‘s maple sugar suggestion, as well. And, I think maple goes well with hot pepper and smoke.

I’d start with the KC Sauce recipe. Drop the molasses, sub in maple syrup. Add some adobo from a can of chipotles, maybe buzz one up and add it. Sub maple sugar for the brown sugar. Drop the mustard. Use the tamarind paste. Skip the onion.

I have some spare time over the next week. I’ll see what happens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here