Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Kettle boneless Country Style Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Bones Glad to catch to final episode. It was worth the wait. For a while there I thought I’d be hearing my last rites before I saw it. Whew!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Willard
      Many thanks fer comin along on this ride, an fer yer endurin patience, glad when all was said an done, ya enjoyed it...
      Life can be busy, an it takes a lotsa time to cull through often 100's of photos of a cook, edit em fer size, crop, etc., try to remember what I did, when I was cookin em, write up summat that might be of any intrinsic value to anybody else, an especially try to make my stuff educational, informational, an hopefully, entertainin.

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Educational: Check!
      Informational: Check!
      Entertainin: CHECK CHECK!!

Mr. Bones, you sir are a true story teller and one hell of a bbq'er. And I thank you. I am 75 years old and you came to your conclusion before I did. I was worried about that. I am going to give the boneless "wibs" a whirl. Thank you.

Comment

Tonight's repast, thanks to Mr. Bones inspiration --

The nitty gritty of how I did it -- Dry brined the meat for a couple of days (a day longer than I'd planned, but life intervened.) Dusted the meat with my riff on Meathead's MMD. Grilled the country ribs on my Weber gas grill using indirect heat at about 250-300F / 120-150C, turning every half hour or so. The cook took about, oh, about 1 1/2 hours.

Country ribs like the ones I cooked tonight do well with a leisurely cook if there isn't a lot of loin meat. If there are large sections of lean loin, the meat needs to be cooked the same as regular loin chops to stay moist and tender.

While the ribs were grilling, I steamed carrots and taters to just done and tossed both with salt, seasonings, and a little olive oil. I also split a huge mango into halves to grill -- my thanks go to Attjack for the idea. The mango was a bit bruised inside, so I had to remove the damaged bits. I gobbled the tasty side "cheeks" from the mango as a chef's treat.

After a bit over an hour of cooking, the centers of the ribs were temping at 175-185F / 80-85C. I put the veggies and mango on the hot sides of the grill to warm up and brown a bit. I also brushed the ribs with a light coat of Huskee's original shawsh to add a bit of shine and a skosh of fruity sweetness. I didn't sear the ribs -- they browned nicely on indirect heat, as you can see, so there wasn't any benefit to adding a sear. Finish temperature was around 185F / 85C. The meat was "cut or bite off the bone" tender and nicely juicy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030742a 800.JPG Views:	1 Size:	114.0 KB ID:	716610

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030744a 800.JPG Views:	1 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	716611

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great-looking plate of food.

Kathryn

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        The platter was my mom's. It's big enough to hold a fair bit of food and the green color sets off the eats so nicely. I just love it for suppers like this.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        BOOM! Winning!

Sounds and looks like you had great plan. Care to share what your riff on MMD was?

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Lemme get back to you on this when I have a bit more time....

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a problem. 5 or 10 minutes will be just fine 😁

Here ya go, Willard --

I like the general idea of MMD, and I know it's popular, but it's sweeter than I like and I'm thinking it's a bit heavy on the rosemary for my taste. I also like Jecucolo's no-salt dupe of the PBC All Purpose rub in that it's got a nice herbal flavor for pork, fish, and chicken, but it's a little milder than I want.

One common element in MMD and the PBC Dupe that I really like is the use of herbs -- rosemary in MMD and thyme in the PBC.

Big Bad Beef Rub is bold and interesting, except it is way too peppery for me and is more of a "one trick pony". My goal is to make an all-purpose blend rather than a specialized blend. BBBR also doesn't offer the herbal notes provided by the other two.

So I came up with this as a first trial run --

70 grams or about 1/2 cup
      Black pepper, coarse ground 4 tsp
      Ancho chile pepper 2 tsp
      Onion powder 2 TBL + 2 tsp
      Garlic powder 2 TBL
      Paprika 2 tsp
      Mustard powder 1 tsp
      Cumin 1.5 tsp
      Bouquet Garni (Penzey) 5 tsp

I omitted the sugar entirely. For meat that could use some help with browning quicker, I can still add a light sprinkle of white or brown sugar separately.

The bouquet garni from Penzey's is a mix (per their website) of savory, rosemary, thyme, Turkish oregano, basil, dill weed, marjoram, sage and tarragon. Having cooked with this blend for years in the kitchen, I know there are other herb blends that might shine better with pork and poultry and still others may be better with beef, but bouquet garni is compatible with them all.

For my second trial run, I think I'll omit the mustard and increase the ancho chile, paprika, and possibly the bouquet garni. We'll see ... I'm still pondering.

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        IowaGirl Awesome! Thanks for taking the time. All those herbs are making my mouth water.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        It has been 2 years since you posted this and I am just now seeing it? Come on, man!!! I am definitely going to try this; I keep some MMD on hand, but I agree that is is kind of sweet for anything but pork and maybe chicken. This sounds about right. Late thanks for posting.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here