Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly

I've got some nice pork bellies in the freezer and I've braised, smoked, grilled, what have you, lots of them in the past but I thought I'd ask the collective for your favourite recipes for pork belly. Note that I'm not looking to make bacon this time around.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Without doubt - Pork Belly Burnt Ends. There are lots of recipes out there, but my personal favorite is by Malcolm Reed. I'm sure Troutman , the other Moderators as well as others have at least 2 or 3(hundred) that will come out fantastic. Good luck and good cooking. Don't forget to post pics and recipes as I like learning from others
    The OmegaDog

Comment

ive only ever used it to make bacon but this malcolm reed video is on my to do list

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This looked grand..

I bought a 9 pound pork belly on July 1st, with the original intent being to cure it for bacon. I ended up on a whim making pork belly burnt ends from the entire piece, and they were a huge hit at my July 4th cookout. I'm definitely doing that again. I didn't really follow a recipe, just used rubs and BBQ sauces I already had - smoked for 3 hours, braised for 90 minutes, uncovered for 30 or so to caramelize.

Comment

I love pork belly and smoke them no less than twice a week. It also helps I found a butcher that sells them at a very reasonable price.
      After doing a batch of wings using the vortex I had 2 bellies brining in the fridge that I used for a test cook using the vortex and they turned out great.
      Cut the belly into about 2" thick rashers covered them all round in MMD and cooked them at around 350 / 370 for 2 or so hours until they were probe tender. They were super good. I like to leave a fair amount of fat on my bellies when removing the rind.

Comment

Super easy and fun recipe, these get eaten fast in my house. Pop them in your mouth like candy ....

4.0 from 3 reviews Pork Belly Pig Candy   Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 1 hour 10 mins   In my Sat

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Just grab this recipe using Paprika. Thanks for the heads up Troutman

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Try it with bacon too, over the top !!!

jfmorris I'm still going through these, but this was my search criteria - https://www.google.com/search?q=smok...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Brine it, season the crud out of it, cube it, smoke it, standard breading station (egg wash and flour seasoned too) and breaded in panko.

Fry those suckers in lard. You won’t be disappointed. I guarantee it.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestion but I'm diabetic and on a low carb diet so the breading is kind of out for me. :-(

Make a pastrami.

but really, Kosher Dosher’s rub and brine.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks interesting, though there is no timing given for the cold smoke.

I love making pork belly burnt ends, but everyone likes that.

Honestly, I love to throw a really sugary rub on the belly and slow smoke that baby to a melty 202 F. It really cant be beat other than making PBBEs.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	711150

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Man that must have been one fat pig LOL

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds damn good! Dadof3Illinois

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            My uncle raises them plump! Troutman

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
          jfmorris I'm still going through these, but this was my search criteria - https://www.google.com/search?q=smok...hrome&ie=UTF-8
          Ok, having worked with gochujang to make Korean BBQ as well as Korean style fried chicken, it is one of my favorite asian flavors, so I modified your search to add gochujang to it, and came up with this recipe, which looks like one I want to try:

This recipe was in the lineup for the winning team at the 2017 EGGtoberfest held this past October. I am proud to be a member of the team that won the people's choice award: Team EGGcellent Eats.  The team features an all-star lineup of some of the best Big Green Egg chefs on social media. This is my recipe that was featured during the

Same basic process, but I think the glaze/sauce will be awesome.

Comment

This is one that I plan on trying soon. Here is the video to go with it. Korean recipe. She (Seonkyoung Longest) has lots of really good recipes.

Comment

One of my favorites is a marinade in the Japanese way. Use a good Japanese marinade sauce for a day and then smoke with cherry wood. Teriyaki sauce is fine but there are a lot of other sauces out there that are better. Most will include fresh ginger, garlic, Hoisin, soy, salt, pepper, maybe fish sauce, and some other ingredients. I quit making my own and use a mix of teriyaki, soy and hoisin with a touch of fish sauce.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                I do love a good asian marinade/sauce on fatty cuts. That sounds great.

Hey...follow-up. I have a brisket going on smoker tomorrow morning and a 2-3# pork belly in the fridge. Can I just salt it, Mephis Dust it and smoke it a couple of hours then crisp it up in strips or cubes? Looking for the easy button to make something tasty on the bottom rack of my BGE while my brisket smokes

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah for sure. You may get some drippings on it, But it should be fine.

• TimmyR
                TimmyR commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Spinaker! I decided to just wing it. I cut 1-2" strips and they are in the fridge covered in salt and Memphis Dust. Planning to throw them on around 2:30 to smoke 2+ hours then chop and crisp em....

Many good suggestions, but they are all inferior to....
              Korean BBQ pork belly. Look for Samgyeopsal recipes. There's a thousand of them on Youtube.

Best if cooked on a Lodge Sportsman's Grill.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                You don't have a a Samgyeopsal recipe you'd like to share? Which one do you use?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here