Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs on my gas BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemy Ribs on my gas BBQ

This past weekend I tried the Blasphemy Ribs on my gasser. I picked up and prepped 2 racks of meaty baby backs then cut them apart. Rubbed one with MMD (after a night of dry brine) and the other with an all purpose rub I had purchased and placed them on a pizza pan. Got the BBQ steady at 225 (monitored with a probe from my Thermoworks Smoke) with a water pan and my Amazin tube smoker. At the 2 hour mark they didn't look like they would be done so I went another half hour then sauced and cooked for another half hour so 3 hour total cook time.

The flavor was awesome but they were not fall off the bone done like my wife likes them. When you took a bite, a little bit of meat stayed on most of the bones. Not quite done? These were also exceptionally meaty ribs so a rack with less meat may have been perfect I think? Maybe run the BBQ at 250 next time? What temp should the meat be at when you apply sauce for that last 20-30 minutes?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
    Attached Files

IMO, "fall off the bones" is overcooked for ribs. I like my ribs with some chew. As far as the temp when saucing, what you should be going for at this stage is to simply caramelize the sauce and not really continue to cook the ribs. I've never done blasphemy ribs and don't think I will, but when I do racks, I take them off of the smoker, sauce them, and then throw them on a screaming hot gasser to finish the sauce.

Comment

• Barry Friesen
      Barry Friesen commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with the over cooked thing...

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Sound perfectly cooked to me! Look great, my friend!

Comment

One man's bite through is another man's overdone. I see ribs really in three categories; slightly undercooked (defined as textural chew to the meat with some meat left on the bone), bite through (defined as meat stays on the bone while eating but each bite removes it cleanly) and slightly overcooked (defined as falling off the bone completely with the slightest tug).

I would say by your description that yours were slightly undercooked. Some people like that, my wife does for sure. I personally like a bite through rib while others like to remove the bone completely and just have soft, somewhat mushy meat to eat. Each to his own.

I did bacon wrapped single spare ribs over the weekend. At 2 1/2 hours they were slightly undercooked and I pulled several for the wife. I continued to cook mine for another 30-40 minutes, or about 3 hours to get to bite through. That was at 275* on a pellet cooker. Bottom line, don't be afraid to crank your heat and add about 30 minutes to your cook if you want them a little more done.

Comment

I’m with Troutman on this one, and think you were not quite done, a little more heat or time next time.

The main reason my family likes the blasphemy ribs is for rub and bark all around on all 4 sides of each rib bone, versus just top and bottom when I cook the slabs of ribs and cut them apart for serving.

Comment

I like the sound of Blasphemy Ribs but I can't find them when I search the recipe side. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Comment

These are the only ribs we cook at our house. I just did some yesterday. 3 hours total from starting the charcoal to taking them off the grill. 250 -275 including 1/2 hour for saucing. Peach wood.

One other advantage I noticed yesterday. I had one cranky rack that refused to give up it's membrane. No big deal with the blasphemy ribs style as the fat rendered very easily with the ribs being individual.

Comment

try the rendezvous style ribs on the free site, they lend themselves well for cooking high and fast on a Gasser, especially one with a chicken rack.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              What's a chicken rack?

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Dewesq55 the 2nd tier rack usually set back from the grate

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Aha! Thanks. Never heard it called that before.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here