Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do my ribs come out so dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be very careful salt brining and using Killer Hog. It contains a lot of salt in it. You can go to Amazon the Q & A section and find out exactly how much and check the label it will probably 1st or 2nd, this is why Meathead's rubs contain no salt.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 8, 2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Careful on your salting. Brining and then using Killer Hog rubs will all add excess salt to your meat. One 12o/z bottle of Killer Hog has 6 1/2 TBS of salt in it. Also see Meatheads article on salt in the free section. I make my own and know a lot of others do.and either brine of rub with salt the night of day before.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 9, 2019, 07:13 PM.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is Meatheads comment from the "Science of Salt" Briners beware of double salt jeopardy!
      Rubs are a great way to add flavor to meat. Brines are also a great way to add flavor as well as moisture. Rubs often contain a lot of salt. You can use both a rub and a brine, but beware of double salt jeopardy. If you use a brine and then a rub, you should make your own rub mix and leave the salt out of the blend. A salty rub on top of brined meat can make the meat unbearably salty. Never brine meat t

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Appreciate the concern, but actually the ribs did not come out salty at all. I thought about too much salt and lightly dry brined the night before and did not over rub the ribs the Killer Hogs.

Most importantly, how did they taste?

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Very well received by my guests. But being a KCBS judge, I was much more critical. To me they were over done.

You can also try just a simple salt and pepper rub and see how they come off of your smoker. Then you will be able to tell if it is the rub, the wood or your smoker. Again, my guess is that it is all that sugar you are putting on the ribs, that is contained in the rub.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of my smokers give me different types of bark. The KBQ has an awesome dark reddish color to the bark, My PBC and BGEs give me really nice black bark. I love it all but there is a difference in appearance. As long as your bark is not too thick, burned or inedible, it really doesn't matter what color it is. TripleB

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I hear ya. But I like a nice mahogany color on ribs and that’s what I’m shooting for. Appreciate all the input from my BBQ bros. Look forward to trying different techniques, rubs, woods and smokers to achieve my rib color goal. Hey, I’m old....what else am I gonna do for fun

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like to cook at 275 F. But give 225 F a try you might find that the bark is more to your liking. A simple rub will help too! TripleB

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here