Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats, looks awesome, now you're hooked for life!! I'd echo the sentiments on wrapping. When I started this journey I was all about the bark, more bark, can't get enough bark. I realized after a while I could create bark that was so significant (especially on chuckies for some reason) it wasn't even chew-able. Wrapping late softens it back up just a bit without really compromising it, still get the same great flavor (hardy bark but not hard, as Huskee mentioned). This is also why I personally prefer chopped to pulled, I feel like I get a better even mix of the bark thru out the meat and avoid chewy chunks, but I think that's just me as I've never seen anyone else mention it. Also recommend the easy spin grate for the SNS, your refilling days will be SO much easier.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all! I'm glad I didn't wrap this time so I can have something to compare wrapping to.

It seems on a great many videos, many wrap between 150 to 170 or so. I'm also going to try to keep my temps more centered at 250 +/- 25.

I'll also be more conservative on adding more coals. Even when the temps dropped around 5 hours, when I took the lid off the coals glowed brighter, so they clearly had some more life in them. Perhaps all I needed to do was shake off some ash. I know many people have gotten eight hours on a full SnS with the light-12-briquettes method.

Now I have to be off....need to make a pulled pork sandwhich for lunch and another for an afternoon snack.

Comment

Beautiful job, on to brisket!

Comment

I would suggest getting a fan controller, such as the PartyQ. While it's not a necessity, it is a nice addition to the kettle. One of the primary benefits, in my experience, is that it keeps those glowing coals stoked a little longer until they are completely used up. I get about 10 hrs routinely out of a load of charcoal.

Comment

Congrats on a great cook! It looks and sounds like everything came out pretty well. I love that really thick bark. That is right up my alley.

Comment

Congratulations, that looks awesome! I'm a beginner too. Great looking bark!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
                I would suggest getting a fan controller, such as the PartyQ. While it's not a necessity, it is a nice addition to the kettle. One of the primary benefits, in my experience, is that it keeps those glowing coals stoked a little longer until they are completely used up. I get about 10 hrs routinely out of a load of charcoal.
                I've thought about one of these. I need to figure out how to get my temps down to below 250 or so. My understanding is that the fan can either maintain or increase temps; not lower them.

I may have some air intake leakage from where I put my temp probes in. (Or, I still haven't grasped the notion that it does not take much lit briquettes and small vent openings to get to 225-250!)

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It won't do anything to lower the temp directly. But if you run it with the bottom vent completely closed once you hit your target temp, it will have only have the oxygen that the fan provides after that. Did you notice any smoke coming out from under the lid? If so, you can take the lid and lay it on a hard flat surface (garage floors are great for this) and see if there is any wobble to it. Another option is to install a gasket. I haven't had to do that, but a lot of people swear by it.

Good job for your first time. Yea that tough layer was caused by the 2 hours at 290, live and learn. That's why you keep doing them. It still tasted good I bet. Do not wrap. Even Meathead recommends not doing it. See this from Meathead's Best Pulled Pork Recipe.
                I never bother with the crutch when cooking at home.

I think that says it all. But everyone has there opinion, I'd do a couple without and if you feel you have them mastered then try the crutch to see if you like them any better.

Good luck on your next one.

Comment

Great job on the first one though. Many more to go and you will just get better over time. I personally have never wrapped a pork shoulder, but I do let mine rest a lot longer than you did. And like others have said. You got that harder part from the high heat during part of your cook. Again. Nice work and keep it up.

Comment

Congrats !! Looks awesome .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here