Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork ribs hold time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork ribs hold time?

How long can one generally faux cambro pork ribs? Treat BBs and STL the same? Should they be allowed to cool down a bit before holding? Thanks guys and gals!

I stick them in a 170* oven for about an hour. Doing some right now as I write this. To be honest I’ve pulled them, let them rest on the cutting board for 30 minutes and they were fine as well. I just think the hold gives the proteins a chance to ramp down and firm up for carving. Enjoy your ribs, I’m hoping mine come out good !!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Bet they are delicious

What kinda timeframe are ya envisionin, to meet yer needs?
    Mebbe I can be of some little assistance, in this matter...

Comment

Just looking for hopefully a 2hr window for flexibility purposes if possible. Mr. Bones

Comment

+1 on the warm oven. My best rib cook ever, they got done faster than expected and I had about an hour to kill. My wife had the oven tied up with sides, so I started feeding the fire on my stickburner barely enough to maintain temp in the high 100's and just treaded water for awhile. In my experience, if they are properly cooked, they won't dry out wrapped or unwrapped.

Comment

Hi Rod I feel bb's are inferior to St Louis's so don't do them very often. Here in pork crazy NC I can get SL with lots of meat on them for $1.75 while BB with less meat are over $3.00. I don't why the different in cost they taste the same. But enough preachun.

Here goes ribs dry out pretty quickly so do a light sauce and faux cambro either type the same. Wrap stack the ribs together an then in heavy duty foil. Then wrap in several of the heaviest towels you have and into a cooler. I did a little experiment on the time it takes for meats to reach 140 in a faux Cambro. The larger the meat the slower the drop in heat of course. BB's 4 hours, SL's 5-6 hrs.

Do not cool them down, put them straight into the faux Cambro.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            I was typing as the others answered they are also pretty good answers.

2 hours, ime, should be well within 'cakewalk territory', Amigo

All have their own ways, I'll tell ya what has worked, repeatedly, fer me:

I pull em, when probe (toothpick, in th case of ribs) done, then unceremoniously plop em into a full size steam table pan, plastic wrap, double foil, an into my oven, on Warm settin, which averages ~170°~ish, til Go Time...

Reckon, ya've seen my rib pics, as a testament to suitability to serve; if not, happy to provide links...

I think ya got it made, already, Brother...

Comment

Thanks fellas! I believe I'll go the faux cambro route. The outside temp will still be 100*, so I should be good.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Best of luck, ya got this, an Smoke On, Always, Brother!

Do you feel this has any negative or positive effects on the tenderness for ribs? Doing a slap of SL's today and I have yet to get that perfect tender and juicy rib. I think last time I did the bend test the cracks may have been too small (less than 2"), so that may be my issue.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I gave up with the bending. I probe with a toothpick between the bones. Like butter, done.

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep tooth pick check and when the meat pulls back from the bone about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here