Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found: Durham Berkshire Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found: Durham Berkshire Source

My family usually heads to the Raleigh Farmers Market which is about 35-40 min away from us, but quite large, easy to park, etc. My wife and kiddo sometimes go to the smaller Durham one. I’d never been, the kiddo is away at camp, so the wife and I grabbed coffee and off we went on a beautiful post-thunderstorm morning...

Imagine my surprise (I did a double take myself) when I saw a chalkboard that said "Dry aged beef.... Berkshire Pork..." Whhhat? I have never bought heritage pork of any kind and was going to place an order with Compart Duroc this weekend - but this fell into my lap! Meadow Lane Farm (owned and operated by women, ladies!) is there EVERY weekend. She had several huge coolers of meat. Her Boston Butts were only around 2.5-3lbs, but she also had STLs. We pick up our daughter on Friday, and Saturday I’m smoking ribs at her request so I was really excited to stumble into this now. I have a full rack of BBs in the freezer already, so this seemed perfect.

Me: "I’ll take some of the STL"
    Her: "Oh good, we had some of those last night... here, try this watermelon sweetheart" (OMG this woman rules)
    Me: "Ah the racks are cut, I’ll take both packages".
    Her: "Wonderful. I can’t remember my price (right in front of her $10.50/lb) let’s call it $9.50/lb. Comes to $52.00, $50 will work. Tell ya what, we’ll do $40 and call it good".
    Me: "Thank you ma’am, I’ll be back soon!"

As I said, I’d never bought heritage pork. Wasn’t sure about the price. Briefly looking seems $10.50 is about right for STL, in which case I should’ve paid closer to $57. To those with more experience buying Berkshire, does the price seem right? Do they look like what you might typically receive in an order, or was I taken for a ride?

Click image for larger version

Name:	018E804C-8354-43DD-8EEE-D521A3DE8FE0.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	708433

I have no experience there but try this watermelon. Love that! SoCal can use a little more of that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      How dat foot, today, after gittin back to work/standin on it all day long, Brother?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones A we bit sore I must admit. Gotta a wedding for 135 today. Put 50lbs of short ribs on at 11 am yesterday. Chicken n mash and shorties and polenta is the call of the day. Plus 540 tray passed apps n such. Gonna be a
      Long one. We’ll be testing her out today!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Baby Steps, one day at a time, Amigo! Best of luck, hope ya ain't too dang sore, end of shift...

Better send it up to me so I can get a closer look. Please.......

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m guessing further inspections may include seeing what happens when they’re exposed to 250F indirect heat for 6 hours or so? 😂

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      If you insist.

I grew up with this kinda local phenomenon; we all fed each other, an sometimes bartered out th rest, cause everybody was jus poor dirt farmers, an had no ca$h flow... Cut to th chase: obviously, some of us survived...

That kinda was (totally! ) gone when I was moved to KS, an it wasn't til 16 yrs later, on my first deployment overseas (NAS Sigonella, Sicily) that I was to re-experience th hagglin process, which is highly prevalent, an an art form, in some locales...
    Sounds like yer seller done haggled ya down, without ya even utterin a syllable...She's good, I can tell that, from here!

I'd absolutely LOVE to do Bidness with this Gal; my kinda folks, an th way I like to roll!!!

I hope them ribs is th best ya ever flung a fang into, an ya go back fer more Berkshire pork, to share with us...

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s my hope this becomes a regular visit Mr. Bones ! I gotta borrow that "flung a fang into" if you don’t mind, I love that one, haha!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta borrow that "flung a fang into" if you don’t mind, I love that one, haha!
      It's all yers, Brother!

I certainly cain't claim originality; it is from an OTR show, Fibber McGee & Molly...

I listen to exponentially more hours of OTR, than modern radio an TV combined...
      Makes my poor, tired ol brain happier! (Super Important, an not easily accomplished)

If only it were a bit closer....

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      3 hours is a bit of a haul, but if you stop by Picnic too you can make it a worthwhile road trip! 😎

Looking forward to seeing the cooking results! Envious too!

Comment

From one NCarolinian to another you got those ribs for only like $7.39 a pound that is a steal my friend. Love my Berkshire. That definitely looks like good Berkshire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here