Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Question

For the 4th I smoked 4 pork butts. All were about the same size. 2 of them cooked perfectly and tasted great. The other 2 stalled at about 150 degrees. I DIDN'T remove right away and wrap. I waited to see if they would get through the stall. Eventually I wrapped and put back on until the 190 mark. But when I took it off, it didn't have the same taste and nor did it pull apart like the other 2. What did I do wrong? Should I have taken it off and wrapped it right away?

You did not do anything wrong.
    It sounds like you got two tender ones and two tougher ones. All butts are different.
    First what temp did you cook your butts at. Second never cook a butt at no less than 260 degrees. That way it will power through the stall. I live in WNC and we just rub put them over the coals and maintain a 275 temp. The rub is very simple, see my post earlier today. I did a Berkshire/Duroc butt 6.2lb butt in 8hrs on the 4th. I would rotate your butts occasionally away from the heat and into the heat since I don't know what smoker you are using.

Comment

• dflood
      dflood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I had them at 225 on a traeger. I just followed through that recipe but I think you are probably right with the 275. Thank you for responding.

If I may suggest please read this article by mr meathead on a basic how to guide on pulled pork
    This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

the results come out very pleasing and gives a few tricks to making some great tasting bbq. It’s located on the free side.

Comment

• dflood
      dflood commented
      Editing a comment
      This was perfect! Thank you for the info. I wish I read this prior too.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      dflood And that was on the FREE side. All this for one low price.

• Nuke em
      Nuke em commented
      Editing a comment
      A few other things that I have discovered from everyone here is that 225 is a "base temp". Thru the years I have taken that temp up to 275 with no bad results which is what I cook at now. It saves me a bunch of hours cooking. And keep it going till it’s fork tender like butter. That’s when ya know it’s done

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia. I cannot add to the advice already given as it is spot on. You have come to the right place!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Glad yer here now, to learn along with me!

Comment

You probably got one butt from the kardashian variety of pigs. Very overworked and unappealing muscle structure.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I think pulled pork can sometimes be a challenge too. Keep the flame going!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. We might be able to give a better answer if you described the cook in detail.
                Cooker?
                Cookin' temp?
                Did you rotate the butts?
                And anything else you think might help.

Comment

• dflood
                  dflood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  great call. I used a traeger pro. I smoked the butts at 225 and sprayed them down every hour to hour an a half with apple cider. I didn't rotate the butts at all but the heat was indirect and spread out proportionally. The first 2 butts never stalled but the other 2 did. After reading the one comment, I think I should have taken them off and wrapped them sooner or elevated the temp

Welcome to the Pit! This is the place to go for all your grilling / smoking / well, cooking questions!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here