Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver skin on ribs, impossible to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver skin on ribs, impossible to remove?

Hi everyone,
    I’m prepping two racks of baby back for the bbq tomorrow and am stumped! The silver skin came off the first rack as expected but for the life of me can’t get it off the second rack! It is so tight that it just tears apart or I can’t even start pulling it free even with paper towel. Anyone ever have this happen? Any suggestions?

I get most of mine from Costco. That said, I'd say one out of 5 still has sliver skin on it. Most times it's already gone.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      If you can't grab it, its been removed.

It's likey it was already removed by the butcher. If you can't get it off don't sweat it.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Run your butter knife flat between the bones lightly. If you scrape off some fat, then it has already been removed. The fat lays under the silver skin.

Comment

Agree with those above
          i killed my self trying to get the silver skin off my first rack only to learn it was already gone

Comment

I would agree with the above with one caveat! Removing the skin is highly overrated. The stuff is delish!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I might tug at it a little, if it's lookin unravelled, already, but 90+% of th time, I jus don't bother foolin with it...Both myself, an everybody I've ever served ribs to has eaten it, without comment, or complaints...

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              A lot of time I can get it off but when I can't I just take a knife and slice the shit out of it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here