Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Advice For Oven-Finished Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Advice For Oven-Finished Pork Butt?

Weather looks horrible tomorrow. I am starting a pork butt on my WSM real early in the morning for a party in the evening ( UFC fight night). I figure I’ll get four to six hours of smoke on it before I have to pull it and finish it in the oven.

Does anyone have any advice for how to do this right?

I have a pop-up canopy for normal rain, but this week the usual afternoon Florida thunderstorms have been severe. Sideways wind & rain. So leaving the pork in the smoker isn’t an option.

Thanks in advance!

If yours is a convection oven, set it to connect roast whatever temp you normally smoke at and follow your normal procedure. Be sure to put a drip pan on the bottom rack. Once you remove the pork, the oven grates are easier to clean while still warm to hot.

Comment

• Anton32828
      Anton32828 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a convection setting but never use it. Thanks for the tip!

I usually do my butts until I see the bark I like. Just after the stall. I put it in a foil pan with some liquid of choice cover with foil and pop into oven at whatever temp I like that day. Plenty of time 250*, getting close 275*. PANIC 300*. Once probe tender oven goes to its lowest setting, 170* to rest.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL Make sure you turn the vent fan on over the stove on HIGH.

Yes - just continue the cook in your oven. The only difference is no smoke, but 5 or 6 hours should be enough.

However, be prepared for that wonderful smoked pork smell to permeate the house. That's a wonderful thing to me, but not so much for my wife...

Comment

You should have no problem if you can get 6 hours of smoke on your butt. Just bring it in to the oven put it on a rack on a sheet pan and set the oven at 275-300 and your butt will run through the stall and have a nice bark. Do not wrap. You want that bark. An electric oven is better than a gas one as gas releases moisture when it burns, not a lot but its there.

OH and make sure you turn the vent fan over the oven on. I hope it pushes the air outside or you will have smoked pork smell all around the house.

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        It does not vent outside. That’s on my list of requirements for "next house," along with a gas range.

I routinely do this. I pull the butt after it clears the stall, put it in a stainless steel roaster pan, cover with foil and set the oven to 275 deg. I leave the probes in and cook to 195-200 deg. I'll be doing exactly this tomorrow (Saturday).

Comment

Wrap tightly and let it finish in the oven. I do this often and it comes out great.

Comment

I do this alla th time, yer gonna be jus fine, Brother!
          Yer butt will have plenty of smoke, all yer lookin fer after that is 'probe tender'...
          I pan mine, jus like HawkerXP done said, previous...

Comment

Cook your butt hot and fast (275-300). When you get the color you like, wrap tightly in foil to finish. It’ll be done in 6-7 hours

Comment

I agree with wrapping. If you can get 6 hours of smoke in your WSM I believe it will be enough. I have never finished a butt on my Weber Kettle with the SnS. When my charcoal is spent and I can’t keep my Kettle above 225, it always goes into the oven in a pan with a bit of liquid covered tight until done.

Comment

For future reference if ya gotta put it in the oven then you just got to. It happens to us all.

For those of you who use liquid in a pan/cover... smoke some of that liquid on your next cook, vac seal it and stash that in your freezer. The next time you gotta pull it off the cooker use that liquid (whatever that may be) in your oven pan.

Especially use it for the toss with whatever else your custom might be. That should get you close.

Or do like me and rub that stuff all over your favorite bedtime pillow.
                Last edited by HouseHomey; July 6, 2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought you rubbed it all over and dabbed it behind your ears like fine cologne.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Certainly, I go to work smellin like Hickory smoke, purt near everyday...
                  Gotta be careful, jus who that might attract, in my experiences...

Update: waiting for the rain. Winds are forecast to be OK. We’ll see.
                Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In my case a 10% chance, like I told them....if you wanted smart drivers you shudda hired smart drivers but ya hired me....now look at ya.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Reckon if ya wanna see some torrential downpour, jus build a snake in that there WSM, an light her off...
                  Lovin yer setup; I have landlord approval to paver offa area, an gonna git me a 10x, or 12x popup canopy, which oughtta be jus fine, until th next time we, unannounced, inexplicably git a 100 mph+ microburst...has already happened, like five times, this yr., so kinda has been factored in...
                  Ain't too worried bout losin my enclosure, jus don't wanna pay fer th neighbours' new cars...

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice lookin outdoor set ya have there.

Smoked for 6.5 hours and then moved it to my oven on the convection setting as advised. It’s the basic recipe with Memphis Dust rub. It took another 4 hours at 275 in the oven to hit 205. I stuck it in the "cambro" for the party for about two hours. Served with Lexington Dip.

It was amazing! Thanks for your help everyone!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks fer postin yer results, Brother!
                  Fine Job, ya done there!
                  Lookin good, from here in th hood!

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here