Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy 4th of July - Cooking the 4th of July Ribs Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 4th of July - Cooking the 4th of July Ribs Menu

Happy 4th of July everyone! I have already posted a symopnis in the New Member - Introduce Yourself area. I'm going to get a few more details here.

I am cooking (most) of the AmazingRibs 4th of July menu. Smoking some baby back ribs on the Weber. Made the coleslaw, also the potato salad. Trying to talk my dear wife into slicing up strawberries so we can make the grilled strawberry shortcake dessert; I think I may be able to do it. :-)

The ribs:

Swift cryo-pack baby back ribs from Costco. 3 racks in the package. Unpacked last night, and salted with Morton's Kosher, wrapped up and refrigerated overnight.

Prepped up this morning with Meathead's Memphis Dust. Ready to go on the grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_115259.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	707636

Prepped a 2 zone fire on the grill. I decided to use one of my charcoal baskets to hold things in place. Lit about 10 coals in the corner of the basket and then filled it up with unlit coals and a couple chunks of hickory on top. Once the temperature was stable, I got the ribs in place on the grill. I'm using a new rib rack, the Weber 6469 Original Rib and Roast Holder. It's kind of a beast, but it will work just fine for 3 racks. Ribs on the grill at 12:15p MDT.

Once the ribs were on the grill, time to prep the salads and get them chilling. Both salads were made using the recipes as best I could (couldn't find white pepper at the store).

Deli Slaw With Sour Cream And Mayo

Dressing made in the bowl, and then everything else run through the food processor using the grater attachment:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_160849.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	707637

Old Fashioned Potato Salad Recipe

Dressing mixed up in a bowl, then potatoes prepped and the egg cooked. Egg out at 15 minutes, potatoes cooked until tender, drained and cooled. Everything mixed together in the bowl. I did take a slight liberty with the seasoning; I added a little bit of smoked paprika, and a touch of cayenne pepper, along with salt and black pepper to taste:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_160443.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	707638

More to come.

Went out and checked on the ribs at 3:00p MDT, they are doing fine. Added some more coal to the basket.

Checked on the ribs at 4:15p MDT. One rack is done! Sauced it, put it over the coals to caramelize. I wrapped it in foil (hesitantly) and put it at the far side of the grill away from the fire.

The other two racks are close, maybe another half hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_161743.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	707641

Comment

Checked on the ribs again. 2nd rack is done. Just waiting on the big boy now. Added a few more coals to push it over the top.

Name:	IMG_20190704_164945.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	707650

Comment

Thats a good looking meal,Im doing a rack of babybacks myself.

Comment

Gave the final rack another 30 minutes. She's done! No picture from the grill, it was starting to rain just as I was caramelizing the sauce over the coals.

Time to eat!!

Name:	IMG_20190704_172639.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	707703

I'm going to try and use words here other than the non-forum compliant words in my head. The ribs were PERFECT! Just the right amount of bark, perfect chew. Just freaking outstanding. I had sauce on the table , but after the first couple of bites, no one used it. We watched a torrential thunderstorm roll past the patio windows as we enjoyed our meal. Very, very good.

Thank you Meathead and Crew for a great tutorial and recipes for a really, really outstanding meal. Thank you!!!

Name:	IMG_20190704_174127.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	707704

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Well you sure nailed it! Great looking plate of food.

Originally posted by brew7353 View Post
          Thats a good looking meal,Im doing a rack of babybacks myself.
          Thank you, sir! Can't think of a better way to help celebrate today.

Comment

I almost forgot. The strawberry shortcake isn't going to happen today I'm sorry to say. It's going to be raining until later tonight, and quite honestly, we are all STUFFED from the rib meal. Maybe this weekend.

Comment

I'd eat that.

Comment

Me too!

Comment

Than you gentleman! That's high praise.

Comment

Great lookin plate of food, Amigo!
                    Fine Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                      Great lookin plate of food, Amigo!
                      Fine Job!
                      Thank you!

Comment

Great job. Clean rib bones are the ultimate compliment.

Comment

Enjoyed the shortened ride with you. That all looks great and the sides are exactly what I do and enjoy with that kinda meal.

Comment

As an AAR, I wouldn't use the charcoal baskets for this type of cook again, they just didn't really function in any meaningful way for me. I can see a Slow & Sear in my very near future (birthday next month ).

I would make both the coleslaw and potato salads the day before, and let them marry up in the refrigerator for 24 hours prior.

I can see a WSM in my near future as well. One of my co-workers' husband is selling an 18" for cheap. He used it twice and didn't like it, so he bought a PBC and loves it. I certainly can't fault him for that.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. More cooks to come!
                            Last edited by crazytown3; July 8, 2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
                              klflowers commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grab that wsm. I have had one for years and it never lets me down. I have a kettle/sns too, so while I lust after other cookers, between the 2 of them I have most things covered.

• crazytown3
                              crazytown3 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I desperately wish it were as easy as that. My local budget officer has given me a 'maybe'. Maybe I can do extra chores this week and push it more in my favor.

• klflowers
                              klflowers commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I know what you mean about the budget police. I have one of them too - it works really well until I want something that I really don't need...

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here