Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding Ribs in an oven instead of a cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding Ribs in an oven instead of a cooler?

I've used the wrap in foil and store in a cooler method before, but I don't like what it does to the bark. Is there any harm in just sticking them in an oven at 175 for 2-3 hours?

We use the oven a lot for holding meat. We still wrap either in foil or pink butcher paper. The butcher paper seems to keep the bark firmer. Have also used a Turkey roaster to accomplish the same thing.

Comment

I’ve held them in oven wrapped in foil. You do lose some in the bark. If you can hit them on a hot grate for a few minutes after they come out it will help a bit.

Comment

I hope it’s okay. My brisket was done at 10 am and has been holding all day!

Comment

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          I triple wrapped the brisket and held it for 6 hours in a 145 F oven. Turned out great. I hope your ribs did as well.

I do my holding in my smoker, just drop the temp to 150-180, no more oven or cooler for me!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Reckon that's much easier to accomplish during th cooler months; this time of year, checkin my Horizon's Tel Tru, everyday when I git home from work, it's usually at 150°+, without a fire goin on
          Wintertime, I can pull her down low, an even smoke cheese...

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          I was trying to do that. It wasn’t working out since my smoker is gas and at those lower setting it easily blows out.😑 Oven for me.

Originally posted by CoryS View Post
        I've used the wrap in foil and store in a cooler method before, but I don't like what it does to the bark. Is there any harm in just sticking them in an oven at 175 for 2-3 hours?
        No harm at all ... do it all the time.

Comment

I prefer the oven with a sheet tray and a metal rack over it so air flows all around the ribs. I get it as low as I can. Mine can go down to 160. I try not to hold them more than 2 hours if I don't sauce them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here