Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th of July Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th of July Cook

Over here at the Cordova compound we have about 15-20 showing up today expecting Good Eats (sorry Alton). I bought a 12lb butt from WAL MART the other night. I usually get them from Kroger, but was out at the Wally World, saw this nice 12lber and the price was good. Also picked up a family pack of drumsticks to make chicken lollipops, plus some assorted smoked sausages. Oh and good news....my wife works for UHC (don't get me started) and found out a perk she has that gets a discount on Costco membership. So we will be getting one again!

I opened up the butt and dry brined it starting Tuesday night. Got up this morning and loaded up the dripngriddle and the slow n sear with KBB and cherry chips....the wife thought chips and chunks are the same. It'll all work out in the end.

I slathered it up with MMD and threw it to the smoke around 7AM central. My usual process is to let it get to 175 ISH and then wrap in foil. Take it to 203-205, wrap in a moving blanket ($5 at Harbor Freight) and throw in my faux cambro on wheels. (Igloo) and let it rest until about 20 mins before we eat. I'll shred that sucker up and the hungry hordes will be fed!

I'll post up some pics of the lollipops later as I make them and throw them to the Slow N Sear! I went with my Maverick ET733. My wife bought me an XR 50 for Xmas, but it has one thing I..er....SHE doesn't like. If the alarm goes off, the OUTSIDE base unit starts beeping and I can't figure out how to stop it without going out there.

The reason she doesn't like it, the kettle is 10 feet from her window. I am in my office 45 feet away. When the alarm went off, I turned it off on the remote thinking everything was cool. Until she barged in yelling WTF do you have outside my window going BEEPBEEPBEEP BEEPBEEPBEEP? Ruh ROH, Shaggy.

Luckily when she at that night, all was forgiven. But I don't want another repeat and didn't feel like spending time searching Google and Youtube to see if there is a solution to this....other than put the base unit in a sound proof box. Plus, only cooking one butt, I only needed 2 probes today!

BUTT (see what I did there), if anyone knows how to keep the base unit on a Maverick XR-50 from beeping or how to stop it remotely, I'd appreciate the 411.

I forgot to mention...I LOVE this site. The recipes, the reviews, and the food science. I'm a tech nerd so I love that stuff. But most of all the community. There's no political, social, or ethnic agendas. Everyone here just loves smoked meat.

Happy 4th of July America!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190702_221714.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.6 KB ID:	707225Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_070551_902.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	707232Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_064257.jpg Views:	1 Size:	200.3 KB ID:	707230Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_070551_879.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	707231Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_070551_876.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	707229Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_070551_878.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	707227Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_063948.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.5 KB ID:	707226Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_070551_900.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	707228
    Last edited by droopie69; July 4, 2019, 06:43 AM.

Happy 4th, cook looks good, enjoy.

Comment

Have a great day! We're getting ready to head up north to some close friends' house who built a new home and invited us up for a couple nights, up near Lake Michigan. They asked me to be the grill master, so I'll be braving the feels-like-97° heat and humidity, but really 88-90 (which for us Michigan folk is HOT), and serving up some classic summer fare tonight & tomorrow. Hope you and yours have a splendid day & weekend.

Comment

• droopie69
        droopie69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have a great time. I got married (the first time) in Michigan. The entire week it was 75, until Saturday. 92 with lots of humidity, just like here in Memphis. Oh, we got married in a rustic church that had no power. I sweated right thru my tux.

Nice! Happy 4th!

Comment

I found this chicken lollipop recipe a while back. It calls for cutting off the small end of the drumstick, but I can see me cutting my pinky off. I think next time, I'll just slice the meat and tendons of the knee and leave it. I put MMD on them and wrapped them in bacon. After they have smoked for a bit, maybe 1.5 to 2 hours I'll throw them on the coals to sizzle the bacon and skin. Then brush sauce on and let that caramelize.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_144805.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	707583Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_144128.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	707581Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_144135.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	707582 .

Guess I forget to get a shot with the bacon wrapped on them. I might have messed up a bit. I didn't realize I got really thick cut bacon. I think thin bacon will work better. But, I doubt anyone turns this down. I did it once before and they were amazing! My white meat snob wife even thought they were delicious!

Comment

I just threw on some appetizers. Making a sausage and cheese plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_161942.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	707606

Comment

Damn you're in TN, otherwise I would be hurt because I didn't get the invite.

Comment

• droopie69
              droopie69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't want you to pay for booking that last minute flight! I'll eat some leftovers in your honor today!

Do you want to cook a truly summer dish? Then you here.
            Best Summer Recipe
            I myself took a couple of recipes and was delighted.

Cranberry pie
            Cranberry jam
            Italian Cookies
            Black And White Cookies ...

Comment

• droopie69
              droopie69 commented
              Editing a comment
              (cookie monster voice: YUM COOOOKIES!!!

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              SummerGirl I notice you posted this same link a couple different times. If you're here to join the community, there's a thread for new member introductions and we are happy to have you here. But if you're just here to market another site, that's not really going to go over well here.

The pulled pork turned out great. I pulled it off at 207 IT....i was making the chicken lollipops and started when it was 197. But I pulled it off and put in the fake cambro for about 2 hours, then pulled it, covered in and kept in a 170 oven. The Chicken Lollipops. I put them on too early....I thought I could keep it about 200 and just them simmer. But they were cooking too fast, so I pulled them off and put them in a room temp oven. Then, the reason I was trying to cook them a little early...everyone showed up, Modelo's were opened, a CornHole challenge arose, and I forgot to put them back on. When I did, it took until pretty much everyone was full.

On the bright side, that just means, I get to eat the rest of them!!!! They turned out great. The few that ate them gave them rave reviews. I think with that success, at some point I am going to smoke some spatchcock chickens!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here