Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking pork the NC way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking pork the NC way

When I first posted this I was asked for pictures by our recipe guru. So here goes:

This is the last of the Berkshire/Duroc blend that my neighbor and I raised free range from piglets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	706977

Before removing the fatcap it was 7.2 pounds After removing all but a thin layer it was 6.215lbs.

This it with my rub on it at 3PM Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	706978
    It has been fully covered with rub wrapped in foil and gone back into the fridge to let the salt do its thing and the other herbs and spices there thing. You can see the fat I removed sitting beside it. It was pure white almost not worth throwing away but could have used in making lard.

Well ya'll have a happy 4th and enjoy what ever ya cook.

That is a nice looking shoulder roast.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep Troutman the slaughterhouse labeled it Pork Butt. It is delicious meat. You are the one that asked for the pictures for my recipes so will go on with them tomorrow.

Making my mouth water! I just threw a butt on the smoker myself!!! Can't wait until 6 tonight!

Comment

Well the wife and I have finished eating the butt and it couldn't have been better. Put it on at right 9 am. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	707723

Started with Hickory chunks alternated with apple every hour on my Smokenator. At 4 PM where I had my ThermaPro 732 probe it read 195 so I checked all over and found an area that was only 173 so put the ThermaPro into that area and in in an other 2 hours all areas were up to 195-205. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	707724

If you notice the meat probe instead of being in the side is through the top. Now for the wrap we were not going to be eating for an hour so wrapped in foil and a towel. That held the temp at 175. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	707725

Outside temp was nearly 90 or I might have thrown it in a cooler.

An hour later and ready for dinner started some corn on the gasser in there husks. Started pulling the pork. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	707726

Bark still crisp little fat left. This Berkshire/Duroc is delicious. I made my western NC sauce but forgot to take a picture of it before I used most of it.

I hope all of you had a happy 4th of July with your families and loved ones. And you all cooked some good Q.

Comment

How do I love this post? lemme count th ways!
        Pork Butt
        Duroc, no less
        Meteor bark (mandatory, imo)
        Sweet corn, on th side
        Extry Kudos fer usin th Smokenator, ain't seen one in a spell...

Would love to hear alla bout yer rub(s), Brother, if yer amenable to sharin...(If it's Secret, or Proprietary, well, Sir, that's jus fine as well.) Totally Yer call, there...

As I'm sure ya can search out, hereabouts, pic 4 looks jus like I like to pull my PBs off at, barkalicious heavenly joy!

All in all, Really Nice Job, sez I...

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones Thank you for your kind words. I will be glad to post the rub recipe. I don't have it in front of me right now so will post it for you tomorrow. Like all things here in the mountains we keep it pretty simple as I recall it only has 6 or 7 ingredients if that many. I also don't mess with wrapping my butts, I like that bark. With the Berkshire/Duroc the cook at 260-275 went straight through the stall.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool Beans, Brother, an many thanks, in advance!
          Gonna go deal with what is most likely a Veteran's favourite night...

To be honest I’m still not sure how to take you, but you sure can cook and that is means a lot with me. We can all disagree on the minutiae but it is the results that counts.

Comment

Donw yeah I have not been the most cheerful guy to start out on this forum and I apologize for that. I am an old codger and am pretty set in my ways and just don't like some of these new fangled things. So I will keep my opinions to myself in the future. I have had all sorts of smokers and enjoyed learning how to use them. But I'm retired and back to my Weber and a gasser. God bless and hope you had a great 4th. Tom

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Opinions are never a problem, the method used to express them however...

All us old codgers are set in our ways and pretty sure our ways are the right ways. Your way of doing that pork looks like a right way to me!

Comment

Here you go Mr. Bones as promised simple. I must credit the Jamison's for the bulk of this recipe.

3 TBS Course ground black pepper
            3 TBS Demerara sugar or light or dark brown sugar, your choice I use demerara. The crystals are slightly larger and don't you don't get the burn't taste you can from regular of brown sugars.
            3 TBS Good Paprika
            2 TBS Morton Kosher Salt
            1 tsp Cayenne, This amount is yours to play with like it hotter add more, like less heat leave out some.

One option I use sometimes is a 1/2 tsp of thyme, more on grocery butts than good Heritage pork.

Smoke at 260-275 This will take you straight thru the stall. My 6.2 lb butt was on at 9AM and off at 5PM a straight temp raise from 47 to 195.

Good pork doesn't need a lot in my opinion, which is why I love this simple rub.

I try to get the rub on by mid-afternoon the day before your going to be eating for dinner, so the salt has plenty of time to do its thing and brine it and the sugar and other thins can form a crust so you will get a start on a good bark. Remove any skin also before the rub. I wrap in foil after getting it good and covered.

I think I have remembered everything but feel free to ask questions.

Hope ya all have a good week end.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 5, 2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks fer sharin this with us, Amigo...

Mornin, mountainsmoker !
            Wanted to show ya how very similar our butts look, lol, as I mentioned above ...
            Here's one I found... It was a regular ol Hormel Always Tender, nuthin fancy, an caught em fer ¢99 / lb. ...probly goes without sayin, I stocked up my deep freeze, an a few of my neighbours, as well...

Even my Cuz liked it, High Praise, indeed...
            Have a great Sunday, Amigo! Keep th Thin Blue rollin, there in th mountains!

Lookin forward to more of yer cooks!

Comment

That is a fine looking piece of pork also, guy. This will be my next cook. He actually walked on my concrete patio between the post and house, my Weber Kettle is also left of the post. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0717.JPG Views:	1 Size:	310.2 KB ID:	709143

Unfortunately the hunter I told about him, didn't give me any of the meat. But a bear that big is sort of a tough one.

Happy smoking guy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here