Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a day filled with minor disasters, the Duroc pork butt was a winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When in high school, my husband used to hunt with a group of buddies. They used to freeze the various doves, rabbits, quail, and squirrel they harvested until there was enough to feed the bunch. One guy's mom would braise the meat and fix a gravy and the fellas would chow down. Knowing my mister, I'm sure none of the boys would have blinked an eye if a chippy was included in the meal.

Comment

Sorry I missed this when it was fresh. What a cool story, enjoyed it very much! I have a couple stories, not to take over or detract from yours at all, but in the spirit of crazy times I'll share 2:

I remember the day our water heater decided it had enough of life and decided to rust out and the water poured out of it. It was a 95+ day, humid as Hades as are most 90+ days in MI (at least that's how I remember it and that's how I choose to tell the story) and our water heater is "nestled" (read: shoved tightly) into the small closet beside the washer & dryer, which means to get it out they both need unhooked & moved first, which involves the dreaded flex-tube dryer vent. No AC in that part of the house. Add to that stepping on sopping wet towels, and the inherent rush in such a situation, and the fact that the fella we bought the house from hard-wired the water heater to the wire coming out of the wall (no easy-to-unplug "plug")... and it was memorable. And how I also choose to tell the story is that I had meat on the smoker too, which got neglected in said events. "Just use sauce" I may have said.

Then last February on a crazy warm thaw-and-rainsorm-flood-warning day, our sump gave out. 12" of water in the crawl, and rising. Noticed it hadn't come on in a while, and we could hear water dripping sounds coming from down below, we knew there was standing water. Here I am going own there (outside, under-the-deck-with-maybe-12"-clearance-so-crawl-on-your-belly-through-mud-under-the-deck-to-get-to-it access hole mind you) after dark, in a torrential rain, in February in MI, into a dark crawl flooded with water, only to discover my rubber boot has a leak. Foot now wet from snow melt (~35* let's say) and only a flashlight to help me out. Long story short, wife was near Home Depot, called her, she brought home a new sump pump and I installed a new sump pump w/ 1 hand on a flashlight (maybe some mouth action in there too) and the other on the screwdriver tightening hose clamps, got done near midnight. Walked around the yard in the pouring rain getting all the bad words out of my mind, because it actually felt warmer out there than the crawlspace had. No chipmunk in either story though. But otherwise, I can kinda-sorta relate to such events!

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Hearing crazy stories like this can give us all the courage to get through difficult moments and maybe someday even laugh about what happened. Thanks for sharing, Huskee.

As a footnote, your sump pump trouble also happened to a local guy a few years back. He went into the flooded basement of his parents' house and died of electrocution -- the sump pump had shorted out but the breaker didn't trip for some reason. I'm glad your story had a happier ending.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; July 18, 2019, 05:56 PM.

Update on the chipmunk -- I said on July 17 that I thought he'd made it outside. I was wrong. He survived in the house for over TWO months. Toward the end, he was getting pretty cocky about coming out in the open when we were nearby.

One day he was hanging out with my co-worker Connie as she worked in the large open room (the converted attached garage for my house) where I run my small business. She quietly propped open the door to the outside while managing to also not scare the chipmunk into hiding. She said he sat in the sunny open doorway then ran back inside three times before he finally decided he wanted to run outside and stay there.

When she told me he was gone, I couldn't believe it. But it's really truly true - he's back in the great outdoors. Good riddance.

I used the Blasphemy Ribs technique this weekend to smoke a rack of St Louis style ribs from Compart. The ribs were nice and meaty with plenty of marbling -- much nicer than the Smithfield spare ribs I cooked a couple of weeks ago. The Compart ribs were flavorful, bite-off-the-bone tender, and nicely juicy.
      Last edited by IowaGirl; September 8, 2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad yall enjoyed some delicious Compart STLs, an happy fer lil chipmunk to have finally made it back to Nature, though in a few months, chipmunk might jus be rethinkin that decicsion.

I very much enjoyed this rather heart-warmin conclusion to yer earlier tale, Sister!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm also relieved it turned out well, Mr. Bones. I think he was getting food and water from the dogs' water and food bowls, so he was getting plenty of eats. But I could see how things could easily turn bad real fast, and I didn't want that to happen. You're right about winter coming -- he will probably regret his decision soon!

So I have been told that chipmunks can't resist running through pvc pipes. I have a friend who gets them in his yard. One end of the pipe is open to the back yard, the other end has a 1 foot drop into a 5 gallon pail of water.

You'd think Compart would have some grocery stores in Minnesota (and perhaps they do) but none are listed on their site.

Comment

My dogs can't resist chasing the local chippies who love to dive into drain pipes for safety. That frustrates my dogs to no end.

Skip who lives in Blue Earth, MN, says there is a grocery carrying Compart meat near him. I know the Compart guys at Spring Training were talking about some of the MN stores that carry their meat, so they're around, just not on the website. Frustrating, I know!

The Compart website doesn't list Fareway groceries either, but I know the Fareway stores, at least the ones in Waukon and Decorah, Iowa, are stocking their ribs and butts.

Prices for Compart at Fareway are a bit more than for commodity pork, but the price difference is not large -- not nearly as expensive as the prices charged by the boutique mail order suppliers for heritage pork.

The Compart St Louis ribs I cooked this weekened were about $4 per lb. The less-than-stellar Smithfield spare ribs were $3 per pound. The quality of the Compart ribs more than made up for the price difference, IMO.

Comment

So, back to the Chipster, did he look like he put on any weight? When he ran outside did you hear a tiny Yippee! or a Free at Last! Did he leave a Thanks for the hospitality note? Just wonderin.

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            He looked healthy and well fed for sure. He's been running around the yard and taunting my dogs from deep within the wood pile. Drives my dogs crazy, especially the German Shorthair. She's a little nutso.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here