Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butts today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butts today

Got the Lang heating up for a couple of butts. I always wrap them when they hit the stall 160-170 but for the first time I'm not going to. I will post pics though out the cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0446.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	70371 Just took them out of the fridge heading to the chamber. The rub was applied last night.

Comment

In the chamber they go Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0450.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	70374

Comment

Let the countdown begin Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	70376

Comment

Good looking butts. Everything stalls, but dang my butts stall at 160 for soooo long! Glad you got an early start, might be done in time for dinner...maybe.

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

DWC I'm guessing you're cooking in your normal 225F to 250F range. Since you're not going to wrap and you want to eat today try this... when the butts stall at somewhere around 160F take your pit temp up to 275F to 300F. Once the butts are out of the stall lower the temp back down to 225F to 250F. They'll get done much faster and you won't sacrifice much at all in the way of taste and tenderness.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Pit Boss... I assume you are speaking from experience of powering through the stall with heat. I can't wait to try that. I'm a low and slow guy and hate using the Texas crutch. Pork butts are hard to screw up on really so my next butt is going to see some heat. Thanks for that tidbit.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep Breadhead that was experience talking. I agree pork but is easy to make Good, and hard to mess up, but making it great takes skill. Try cooking one at 225F for 17 hours until it hits 203F. Then you'll realize what you've been missing

A very close second result is to use the above technique to speed up the stall. Much better than wrapping.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Pit Boss... I posted on here a couple years about my pork butt low and slow cook I did in my Big Green Egg without peeking even once. That cook was 2 8 pound butts. I put them in the egg with proper spacing at 10pm and closed the lid. I stabilized the temp and went to bed. In the morning all was good and my maverick told me where the meet was and I went out with friends for breakfast. The maverick told me my meat was at 203 at 4:00pm. I put it in the cambro for 2 hours and then served it to friends and family at 6:00pm. I didn't open the lid at all. I had had my egg for a while and I just wanted to see if I could pull that cook off. All went well.

Awesome. I bet you're in your glory right now! I wish I had planned ahead properly and had one of my butts thawed, it sounds like fun today.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee I was going do the butts tomorrow but it's going to rain tonight thur Saturday

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                HUSKEE! Get your butt out of the freezer Mister!

Cool, will be interesting to see how it turns out. Good to see that Lang in action!

Comment

It's funny, we've had a streak of warm sunny weather (40s the last week or so and yesterday 51 and bright warm sunshine) so all of our snow is melting and it smells like spring outside. I have a big rib & and chicken cook this Saturday having some friends over whom we haven't visited with in a while. And guess what? Saturday is the first forecast for rain since November. Go figure.... My Yoder hates rain. Especially cold rain.

On the birhgt side, I found out the supermarket closest to me, about 5 mi away, has St Louis trimmed ribs on sale for $2.99. So I'll save probably $15 on my supply and spend nothing in gas AND I don't have to do the trimming.

Comment

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was 56 in my part of Michigan yesterday. I busted out the Performer and cooked a chicken, russet potatoes and brussels sprouts. The entire dinner was cooked in the kettle.

On topic...the butts are looking REAL good. Nice work, Coles.

• Guy
                  Guy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee, how did you find this out? Did you call the butcher?

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guy no, their periodical was in the Buyer's Guide and showed all their sales, low and behold the very thing I was looking for was on sale, for once! Usually it's the week after my big rib cooks things go on sale.

Three hours into the cook IT is 127 F Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0451.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	70430

Comment

• Guy
                  Guy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man that is beautiful looking meat.

DWCowles, there coming' right along! And looking great.

Comment

Huskee the geese is flying back your way Spring is coming soon...yaaaaay

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                    Huskee the geese is flying back your way Spring is coming soon...yaaaaay
                    Man oh man, can't wait! I keep watching for them and robins. And then once the ice on the pond is melted we get the peeper frogs peeping day & night for a month or more.

This is turning out to be a very nice March so far. I bet it will go "out like a lion" though.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee it came in like a lion here. Hopefully it will go out like a lamb

• Guy
                      Guy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee, I was wondering the same thing this has been a real tame March for us in NW Florida. Which means look out.....

Six hours into the cook and they're in the stall. IT is 172 F. Got the taters on for baking. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0454.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	70496 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0453.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	70497

Comment

• Hondo
                      Hondo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those look awesome!

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! That's what I call textbook pictures of boston butts.

• Guy
                      Guy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love the bark. The only time I have wrapped meat was with a Chuck Roast. It was not good. My other cooks have gone all the way. Bark is better.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here