Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sourcing Berkshire pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sourcing Berkshire pork

so a few days ago I was following a discussion on Bershire pork and gave my 2 cents on the subject. I also suggested compart Duroc. Anyway someone (I cant remember who) recommended betterpork.com for bershire. So I just ordered $251 Butt, 6 rack of SLR , and 2 BBRplus 4 chops delivered to NJ total. Was wondering if anyone has experience with this? really looking forward to getting it.
    Last edited by Jon Liebers; June 25, 2019, 01:40 PM.

My favorite younger brother and his wife send a Christmas food package every year.
    Past couple of Christmas's they have sent Berkshire porterhouse chop, loin chops and a roast.
    They come from Heritage Foods and are outstanding,,,though a bit pricey , but was delivered by Santa !

Comment

I'm just extremely lucky having an upscale market nearby that sells the Heritage Berkshire Pork. I posted my first try with the grilled chops recently and they were amazing. Planning on doing them again this weekend. Not sure why but they seemed to go further than regular chops too. So tender.

Comment

Berkshire chops that were outstanding on Jumbo Joe
        Attached Files

Comment

• ByTor
          ByTor commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn, those look good!

Snake River Farms and Matador Prime both sell Berkshire (Google both for their websites). Like all food deliveries, be prepared to pay a premium. You might also consider Compart Duroc out of Minnesota, another outstanding breed of pig.

Guess I too am one of the lucky ones, they sell Berkshire out of the local grocery here as well....
        Last edited by Troutman; June 25, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          ive ordered from SRF before and found them to be probably the highest priced. Meat was very good though . I also ordered the Karbuto ribs which tasted good but could not get the membrane off the back of the ribs and they were really on the small side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pig 03.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	701223

Comment

Troutman i gotta talk to my wife about moving to texas

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not originally from here but I got here as fast as I could...

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            And unfortunately I’m just the opposite. Man do I miss the big t. But I’m tall and proud and still fly my Texas flag proudly at all my events

That was my recommendation, and I'm sure you'll love the product. I just stopped by the shop on my way home from work today to pick up the bellies I ordered - gonna be makin' bacon!

Comment

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            ok , thanks for the recommendation. Lookin forward to cooking and eating them.

Heritage Berkshire pork or Black Hogs were imported here from a small area in England and known for there flavor. Breeding sows and boars can be huge 6-800lbs. The farmer my friend and I bought our piglets from went to NC State and played with different cross breeding of heritage hogs. Some of the best we got were a Berkshire/Duroc cross. Both very tasty in there own right. If you do go for Berkshire ask where they were raised, how they were raised and what they were fed.

Unlike beef which is rated select, choice and rare, pork is not and it is up to you to trust your farmer and butcher to provide you a great piece of Berkshire.

It sounds like you have found a good supplier stick with them and enjoy the pork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here